Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

"The Nook" - Blunt criticism encouraged

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Abelo polycounter lvl 10
Hi people! I'm working in this personal piece at the moment, and came to a point (I'd say more frequent than I'd like to admit) where after some agile and comfortable progress, got to a point where I like where it's going but insecurity starts ruining my ability to touch it without feeling like I'm breaking it.

I'd like to give it a good pause and listed to your comments and critiques. It's still sketchy but I think it shows enough of the intention to be able to comment on it. Composition, color, story, texture... comment or paint over it; anything goes! The more straight the critique the better :)

nook.jpg

Replies

• Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Could use some more cool values in shadowy areas. Otherwise, I think this is turning out bueno.
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    It'd be awesome to see that creature with its own sword ;)

Over his shoulder, similar to Gut's sword from the anime Berserk. Idk I'm weird haha.

I love the environment you've created though!
  • Broadway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    I think it looks great so far! I already love it. Maybe try removing the mushroom on the statue by the monster; the character silhouettes read better without it. They'll be a stronger focal point that way I think. If you want the mushrooms maybe you could try smaller "clusters" of them that don't change the statue silhouette as much.

Later on you might want to try bumping down the contrast in the lit door area if it fights the characters as a focal point, but that really depends on what you do with the rendering.

Very cool!
  • Abelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abelo polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions :)

The mushroom is meant to be a character that the protagonists are talking to, for directions and such, although I guess it's quite confusing at the moment. Anyway, much appreciated.