Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sketch - Critique

Hi guys, what you think about these sketch, i would love to have some critiques, how to get it better, the composition, i see that i have a lot of cold colors.

The_chef_sketch.jpg

Hope you can help me :-) Thanks!

Replies

• gavinli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavinli polycounter lvl 3
    Hi pedro8999,

Some of the shapes you've got there are pretty cool. I'd look at controlling the eye with value and position of some of the focal elements. For example if you apply some rough ambient occlusion to the image, the recessed wall on the left could be in slight shadow.

The main 'money shot' looks like it's either the figure or the teasing gap in the middle, both of which are vertically aligned so it'd help to push those up or down so they're not competing for the same height position on the image.

You could change the environment, shot angle or lighting to help the eye flow around the image a little more as at the moment it largely goes straight in the middle, or straight to the left (although the stairs are a nice lead left-wards). The lighting on the foreground boxes lead the eye left and off the image so you could use some context or lighting to bring the eye back around the composition, be it a drain pipe, silhouetted light shape on the building, a lit lamp, etc. Maybe stick with black and white first to focus purely on the image read and then inject some colour afterwards?

The foreground character's silhouette and pose is interesting for the shot - really nice.

I hope that helps and please keep me posted with any updates; I'd love to see how you progress the image :)

Best regards,

Gavin
  • pedro8999
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavinli wrote: »
    Hi pedro8999,

Some of the shapes you've got there are pretty cool. I'd look at controlling the eye with value and position of some of the focal elements. For example if you apply some rough ambient occlusion to the image, the recessed wall on the left could be in slight shadow.

The main 'money shot' looks like it's either the figure or the teasing gap in the middle, both of which are vertically aligned so it'd help to push those up or down so they're not competing for the same height position on the image.

You could change the environment, shot angle or lighting to help the eye flow around the image a little more as at the moment it largely goes straight in the middle, or straight to the left (although the stairs are a nice lead left-wards). The lighting on the foreground boxes lead the eye left and off the image so you could use some context or lighting to bring the eye back around the composition, be it a drain pipe, silhouetted light shape on the building, a lit lamp, etc. Maybe stick with black and white first to focus purely on the image read and then inject some colour afterwards?

The foreground character's silhouette and pose is interesting for the shot - really nice.

I hope that helps and please keep me posted with any updates; I'd love to see how you progress the image :)

Best regards,

Gavin

Thanks Gavin! These sketch i will leave it like this, but i will try to put more emphasis on the things you told me! (sorry for my english, i am from argentina jaja) Kind regards and thanks!