Home Marmoset

SBSAR vs PNG -- my substances look drastically different - am I missing something?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Limewax polycounter lvl 6
Hello all,

I'm not sure why this is, but when I am trying to view my Substance Designer creations in Toolbag 2, I was under the impression that we could just use the actual SBSAR file in TB2 and get a 1:1 between different programs. I'm aware that the shading models between different PBR setups could be different, which will cause some things to look a bit different between the separate rendering engines.

However, when I use a SBSAR file as opposed to a PNG, I get drastically different results in TB2. This is the part that confuses me the most, as I thought the SBSAR was basically a 1:1 of what the PNG will become. My question is, am I understanding this all correctly? what is technically more correct? am I missing a setting somewhere?

Here is my example, please note that the lighting and models are all 100% the same in each example. The only thing that changes is that it either uses SBSAR file or rendered PNGs from Substance:

http://gfycat.com/UnselfishAstonishingAmoeba
UnselfishAstonishingAmoeba.gif

Here are stand still images of the same thing above, just not in GIF version

QbBKmeF.jpg

OAjGXtB.jpg

Replies