Home General Discussion

Motivation dropping as soon as I reach final stages of a project

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
yougotdirked polycounter lvl 3
Hi all,

I have a problem with finishing stuff. I think thats fairly common, but I have no clue how to get past it.

I currently use Zbrush, and I love working with it. I got myself a cheap tablet and as soon as I got the hang of it, I started project after project.. but without finishing anything. Currently I'm at the n-th remake of the same character, without ever coming close enough to a game ready model (which is my goal).

The first time I restarted work on this guy was a long time ago, when I made it in blender. It was my first and it looked hideous, but it was mine. Then I looked up tutorials, started again with newfound knowledge, and the cycle continues. Now I'm fairly confident in my sculpting skills, but I have never ever finished something in my 3 years of using Zbrush. There's results, sure, but when it gets to retopology I just start over or start something else. Whenever I start over with something new, I enjoy myself thoroughly

Does anyone know how I can break this cycle so I can enjoy sculpting again?

PS i dont know if this is the right place to ask

Replies

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Hi
    This is a goody and should get you up and running: http://www.dustinbrown.com/getshitdone/

**edit** your hotlink was pointing to the wrong page. - skankerzero
  • skankerzero
    So you're having problems finishing the game model (retoppo) but not the zbrush sculpt, correct?

Maybe you're just a sculptor. Doing re-toppo can be very technical. Sculpting in zbrush is a bit more free and with less limitations and rules. Perhaps you don't enjoy that type of thinking?

I'm the opposite. I don't like sculpting so I came to terms with that and adapted my style to just lowpoly and hand painting. Perhaps you should just focus on high res sculpts.
  • yougotdirked
    Offline / Send Message
    yougotdirked polycounter lvl 3
    Maybe you're just a sculptor. Doing re-toppo can be very technical. Sculpting in zbrush is a bit more free and with less limitations and rules. Perhaps you don't enjoy that type of thinking?

Well basically. Though I think the main problem might actually be me being reluctant to learn the proper techniques. I'm actually in a Computer Science course, so I have to spend hours in my free time watching and reading tutorials which can get tedious. Though perhaps I enjoy the sculpting more.. idk
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    i find its actually hard to call a zbrush sculpt done.I can spend months on something and still end up fiddling around with it. On the other hand building a low poly or a subd character I find fairly easy and quick to finish, as building something is easier then sculpting it( at least for me)

I also think detailing a model in zbrush is a dark art in itself, hence the time taken to totally finish something off as opposed to blocking out mid res form, which is fairly easy.

so yeah don't give up, its quite hard to get to that level you are looking for and when you do , you will end up finishing more projects.