Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Limp walk cycle

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
LeeMeredith polycounter lvl 7
Hello I've been working on this walk for what seems forever, it's for an ianimate assignment, originally I used my own filmed reference but did a poor job acting and got told to push the leg speed difference by critiques on fb groups, which made it need even more adjustments.

I want today to be my final hand in for it or at least hand in Sunday (mid week review) So would really appreciate critique.

[vv]136802895[/vv]

Thanks for any help.

Replies

• Hirnwirbel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hirnwirbel polycounter lvl 3
    Hello! Here are just some of my random improvement ideas...

I think pushing the leg speed difference is a good start and you could actually push it even further. It's a bit unclear at first sight which one of her legs is the hurting one.

If you'd rather not change the timing, you could also try and make the "good" and the "bad" step more different by changing her posture. Maybe have her posture be more relaxed and upright while the good leg is on the ground and save the strained, painful look for when the bad leg is down?

Another little thing I noticed, is that it doesn't really look like she's putting much weight on the cane. Try standing on one leg while supporting yourself with the opposite hand on a tabletop or similar, then imagine your foot hurts and you have to take as much weight from it as possible.
    You'll probably notice that you'll straighten your elbow so it can take more weight and depending on the height of your supporting object your shoulder might even get pushed up as you lean into it. (...at least that's what happened when I did it.)
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    The walk doesn't come off to me as a limp. It looks more like she's tired. And I can't tell which leg is the injured leg.

A couple of things that can make it more clear:

1. Turn the foot of the injured leg.
    2. Don't bend the knee of the injured leg.
    3. Keep the posture more upright.

Also, use better reference:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdG-tuTM8As[/ame]
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    +1 for reference, and make the situation as real as possible. duct tape some boards on the broken leg to make the injury feel more real; tape some Lego blocks on one foot to make it feel more like a hurt leg, grab a board or stick or cane and actually put weight on it when you walk. you'll feel all the points monster and Hirnwirbel made, and you'll be able to see the difference between your footage and the animation.

I'd say Dr House's walking would be good reference
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeeMeredith polycounter lvl 7
    My ianimate lecturer mirrored most of the points you guys made, I'll get working on it and following the new reference I chose (which coincidentally is the one you posted monster)

Thanks for the advice guys