Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Fun

John Ehresmann
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
John Ehresmann polycounter lvl 4
Hey All,

Been a long time since I've posted anything on here. Been doing a lot of that artistic soul searching. For a while now I've wanted to start doing stylized work, but made a ton of excuses as to why I couldn't. So finally I buckled down and am starting to build a new portfolio.

Another thing I've been slacking on is posting on here. Feedback I've gotten on here has been tremendous, and super helpful and I thank anyone who's ever critiqued me.

That all being said. Time to post a WIP of what I'm working on.

stylized3_zpse88ekdjs.png

swordshield_zpsskzoca3n.png

The goal of this project: To get myself more familiar with the workflow for stylized. While I know hand painted isn't done as much, I'm really just trying to get an understanding of the foundations of the style, with my plan being the next project I do going more next-gen.

While I work through Tyson Murphey's tutorial's, I'm looking ahead at Vergne Fanny's work and tutorials from Vertex 2 as I begin to plot.

As always, critiques are welcome. Hopefully this thread turns into me getting to get some great feedback, and get to show off some development!

Replies

• remotecrab131
    Offline / Send Message
    remotecrab131 polycounter lvl 9
    You are on the right path, (thou i don't know what can be wrong at this point)

just look at the paint on the blade, it looks not bad, but you might need some adjusting on contrast and brightness when they are almost finished.
  • Stinkfoot
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    Hey I made this one too! it's a good tutorial, good luck! blade's coming along nicely.
  • John Ehresmann
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey All,

Been a long time since I've posted anything on here. Been doing a lot of that artistic soul searching. For a while now I've wanted to start doing stylized work, but made a ton of excuses as to why I couldn't. So finally I buckled down and am starting to build a new portfolio.

Another thing I've been slacking on is posting on here. Feedback I've gotten on here has been tremendous, and super helpful and I thank anyone who's ever critiqued me.

That all being said. Time to post a WIP of what I'm working on.

stylized3_zpse88ekdjs.png

swordshield_zpsskzoca3n.png

The goal of this project: To get myself more familiar with the workflow for stylized. While I know hand painted isn't done as much, I'm really just trying to get an understanding of the foundations of the style, with my plan being the next project I do going more next-gen.

While I work through Tyson Murphey's tutorial's, I'm looking ahead at Vergne Fanny's work and tutorials from Vertex 2 as I begin to plot.

As always, critiques are welcome. Hopefully this thread turns into me getting to get some great feedback, and get to show off some development!

Yea, there wasn't much I could do wrong outside of topology at that point. Been crazy at work this week so haven't spent as much time as I'd like on this but off the next two days, so looking forward to seeing how far I can get on this.

Here's an update on where I'm at for now. Starting to work on the pommel.

painting6_zpsfjwdpo4g.png
  • longhairprod
    Offline / Send Message
    longhairprod polycounter lvl 3
    This is coming along nicely, John. I would work on getting more contrast via strong specular highlights on my metal hilt. Keep rocking on! :)
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    looking good so far man, longhairprod is correct with his crit. I'm guessing you are planning a highlight pass later tho.

I think practicing this style has lots of practical uses, and there are definitely many companies that still mainly do diffuse only work in the handheld sector. I guess my point is, getting really good at hand painting is still incredibly useful if you want to work in the games industry.
  • John Ehresmann
    Offline / Send Message
    Some updates. Trying to get the sword wrapped up tonight or tomorrow, feeling pretty good overall though for my first real hand painted prop. Also thanks for the feedback and comments so far!

painting9_zpsij632aup.png
  • Matt_Billeci
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt_Billeci polycounter lvl 7
    Everythings feeling a little dull in terms of color. Brighten this up! I NEEEEED TO FEEL IT RADIATE LIKE THE SUN
  • John Ehresmann
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha I'll make it happen!
  • John Ehresmann
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't had nearly the time I want to work on this, this past week but trying to get the colors popping a bit more. One more piece to the sword, then I'm heading in and trying to refine the paint a bit before moving onto the shield.

Overall I'm feeling really happy with how it's turning out, but disappointed with how long it's taking to get done. One thing is for sure, this has been a hell of a fun time learning the process, and trying to make this look as good as possible.

paint12_zpsitqr0oxd.png

screenshot006.png

screenshot007.png