Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Gun - Winchester 9410 like

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
JonConley polycounter lvl 14
So this is the first gun I've finished, I've tried a little hard surface in the past but decided last weekend that I wanted to learn it some more and watched a few videos and paid attention to what was said. Then I decided to some of the hard surface challenge pieces (did the porthole, the inner part of the shaving cream can from jurassic park, and the flange shaft bearing). Decided that I wanted to work on a piece I've been thinking about trying.

I decided to not go 100% to any of the slightly different refs I found and also added in a little bit from some of the winchester rifles, if I were to use this in game I'd probably make it a rifle since that is what it would look like to most people.

latest:
KA7XQ2H.jpg

5JTJq4N.png

V9nkynM.png

Original Post Content:

High Poly:

1VDdBwr.png

SRN8NRS.png

UxEDBPM.jpg

Low Poly Progress (went to bed after I got the main shapes done):
iCQSYCu.png
I need to add a couple of loops around the slot on the side.

Refs:
Ref1 - used a thing or 2 from each that I liked
Ref2
Main Shape minus the sights and patterns on the wood

I have a couple more I used but can't get to them until I get home.

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    I would recommend posting some of your ref images, even if you didn't follow any single one exactly. It'll be easier for people to critique your model if they have a rough idea of what the model should look like.

Also consider posting some wireframe renders (is this a high poly model or low poly w/ baked normals?)

Overall it looks like a pretty solid start. Are you planning to texture it as well?
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the high poly currently. I'll update the post with a couple of the refs I used (the ones I can find quickly since I am at work) and with current low poly progress.

I do plan on texturing it, which should be interesting. Is something I've found to be tricky for me, so it will definitely help with that.
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    Low poly progress, pretty much finished with it. I'll be posting wires a bit later, probably after I get it unwrapped.

ftldK6b.png
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    JonConley wrote: »
    I decided to not go 100% to any of the slightly different refs I found and also added in a little bit from some of the winchester rifles

why?
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: »
    why?

Mainly because I wanted it to be more rifle like, but I like the overall silhouette of the 9410 more than some of the others. Also there are a lot of variations that I saw in 9410's so kind of picked a silhouette and then some features I liked off of other weapons. The sights are pretty distinctly rifle sights, I slimmed down the inlet (not sure of it's name even though I used quite a few weapons, just never any lever action) to make it seem more a little more appropriate for a rifle. Then on some of the 9410 refs I found there is very little in the way of small details on the receiver, so I found a few references that had a little more in the way of screws and pins and added those in.
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wireframe:

obt2wq9.png

Baked:
    lv3dBof.jpg

Normals with issues:
    42SUsc8.png

There are still some artifacts where some pieces come together and a proper cage would probably help a fair amount
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a decent amount of material work in substance designer and painter. Base is there and may add some refinement in color and remove a bit of the noise from the metal.

B7LmwGU.jpg

MNPcDnG.png
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this done for now. A couple areas I may revisit in the future, but overall pretty happy with it.

KA7XQ2H.jpg

5JTJq4N.png

V9nkynM.png
  • 3dReaper
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Looks pretty good overall.

I would suggest selling the wood a bit more, looks a bit like a fill color at the moment. Show more of the grain.

Show a first person perspective as well, also show your flats.