Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Darg's substance designer improvement thread

Hello guys, new member on the board here !

I'm currently learning how to use substance designer in order to make fully procedural textures. I started following some tut's on youtube so I could get to know the basics (yeah, the usual bathroom tiles everyone ends up making). I really start to enjoy the soft, looks a lot like the engineering stuff I use for the studies :).

Since I started to feel a bit more comfortable with the basics, I tried to make my first fully custom texture: some roman styled roof tiles.

20474997881_89a83d5b38_o.png

I would like to improve the diffuse by adding some color variation between the different roof tiles. Usually, I would do this by copying the tile generator, make a black and white version of the tile and add some luminescence variation. However, for this texture, I've made the tiles overlap each other by using a max blend mode, and therefore this technique tends to screw up. Do you guys have any idea on how to realize this effect ? I would also really appreciate some general critics and advice on the texture, I'm here to learn :) ! Btw, here is the substance file, for those that are interested :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uhoq9ex9j0cs0o0/roof.sbs?dl=0

I hope it won't melt down my dropbox... I'm not using a PBR workflow here, as the texture will be used in a quite old engine (Creation kit).

- Thomas

Replies

• Darg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys ! Sorry for the double post, but I have some progress to show !

I managed to get something close to the effect I wanted. I used a tile generator with a slight luminescence variation so the tiles would stay in the right order. Then I've used a slope blur with this map in both of the inputs. By playing with the intensity, I was able to cancel most of the gradient.

Here is the same texture with some color variation :

20467533166_7c87641d17_o.png
  • Darg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update on the texture ! I've corrected the colors and added some more variation, added some dirt and pebbles in between the tiles, corrected a small bug in the tile normal, etc.

20497104976_235e087fa2_o.png
    20514722782_3ff7ef8716_o.png

The specular map still needs some work, but I think I'm going to take a break from those tiles for a while.
  • Darg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! Today, I finally had a bit of free time to work on my substances. Here is my take on an aged/mossy plaster. Advice is welcome as always :).

20993803241_1506aca9c8_o.png
    20993817741_901b80a590_o.png