Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Minion Paintiing - Need help

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Dragonar polycounter lvl 10
Hi everyone,

I started my first digital painting today and I chose to draw a minion because it's a simple shape so easy to draw and like that I can focus on the lighting.

Something is wrong for me in my draw but I can't say what and why so if you can help me to develop this painting , it will be super cool ! Thankssss:poly142:

PS : I know it's not the best painting ever but everyone need to start somewhere and I'm sure polycount is the nice forum to improve my draw/painting skill. :poly136:

Train03.png

Last Update :
DigitalPaint_Minon.jpg

Replies

• Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here an update of my painting with some colors :)

Train03_Wip02.png
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update from today. Don't hesitate to tell me what do you think :)
    Train03_Wip03.png
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update from today !!! "HEY KEVIN !!!" :p

Train03_Wip04.png
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    Gets better =)

Be aware of your shapes and the roundness of the objects. Look at the glasses the front one is wearing. They seem to have a certain thickness to them, but that does not reflect in the shape of the minion. The band holding it up is alsow very flat, its not going around a cylinder but more of a flat surface. It'll help a lot fixing that!
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New minion added today ^^

@acapulco Thanks . I completely agree with you , It's fixed that I hope you will enjoy. If is not fixed for you don't hesitate to make a small paintover, like this I can understand better :)
    Train03_Wip05.png
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey polycount !!! Here my final render ^^ Tell me what do you think and don't hesitate to tell me if you have idea to improve it :)
    Train03_Wip06.png
    DigitalPaint_Minon.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    colors are ok but the goggles need fixing. the perspective is just plain wrong and it detracts from the piece
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @Ruz thanks for your advice. :) " the perspective is just plain wrong" it's really nice to say what do you think but it will be nicer if you can give me some tips to HOW to improve that. like I said on my first post , I'm new in the painting so it's mean I need more tips/help than another one.

Anyway , thanks again for you critics and I will try to change/improve that .

Don't hesitate to continue to tell me what is wrong and how I can improve that. :)
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    Nice colours! The image is cool but the hands are really flat and the goggles look a little off to me. Also, the way you presented it in that last image as a little weird to me :D It's better when it has a simple border.
  • Joopis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopis polycounter lvl 2
    If they were swimming, wouldn't they have some sort of clear goggle lenses over their eyes? It just looks like his eye is being squeezed out.
  • Wolthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolthera polycounter lvl 5
    I have been meaning to ask, what is the foam doing where the foremost minion's body meets the water? I can't recall there being any foam when I was swimming that far deep into the sea last time I did. Of course it has been quite a while...

Google a picture of people swimming or playing in the ocean. Try to identify how the water wraps around their body. Also try and see how close you can get to 1:1 replicating the water on a test-piece. That ought to teach you how to improve the water here.

Yes, the goggle is a bit off. But we can deduce how it should look like. Minions are almost perfect cylinders, right? So, if something wraps tightly around them it's round. And the thing about round things in perspective is that they are perfect ellipses. So we should be able to construe that goggle with perfect ellipses and circles first...

I hope this helps :)