Home General Discussion

Disney's interactive revenue falls by $58M

Hello guys,

Again, Disney tried to ``recycle`` their characters and bring them to the ``games world``, do you think that`s better to give the Disney Interactive (Games field) the autonomy to create something new, or keep trying to bring the film characters (Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes) to the game field?

See ya.

@New: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-08-04-disneys-interactive-revenue-falls-by-usd58m

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't that just because they didn't release anything big this year? It's normal big studios to lose money some years because they're in production and haven't released yet.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Dammit, I remember back in the 90's during the SNES era when they were REALLY good in the gaming industry.

Ok, maybe it wasn't Disney interactive, maybe they would handle all the work to japanese studios but I think all of us enjoyed:

-Alladdin

-Mickey Mania

-Pinocchio

-Lion King

Especially Alladdin, this game was legend and the animation was fantastic.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disney channel network is not doing really well this year as well, which is not really surprising given the overall entertainment market condition (blah blah blah)

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/international/disney-revenue-misses-est/2029110.html
    Blond wrote: »
    Ok, maybe it wasn't Disney interactive, maybe they would handle all the work to japanese studios

well they're experimenting with asian studios (that disney iphone game for line is super addictive for a while, and merchandise/licensing profits in asian franchises bring them money; new KH and all that.)
    I don't think they will ever delegate all of their game development to Japan tbh, but they might consider an internal mmorpg for south korean or chinese markets if there's any demand for that.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Lower results from Disney Infinity and decreased sales of console game catalog"
    That's not too surprising, not even to them.
    "In a conference call with analysts last month, James A. Rasulo, Disney’s chief financial officer, said Disney Interactive’s results would be “somewhat lumpy” for the remainder of the year. For the current quarter, Mr. Rasulo said the unit would report a loss on par with the year-earlier period, when losses totaled $54 million." http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/07/business/media/disneys-game-and-internet-division-cuts-one-quarter-of-its-workforce.html

Last year when they laid off 700 people, they projected losses, but hoped that Disney Infinity and mobile offerings would drive DI success. But honestly, they have bled more than $1.3 billion since 2008, if it wasn't for their other entertainment arms lifting more than their fair share DI would have been snuffed out long ago.

I don't know how many more people they can get to buy a 3rd starter kit and more overpriced figures, even though they are really cool.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    They'll probably make up for it once the Star Wars stuff starts to come out in the fall.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Blond wrote: »
    Dammit, I remember back in the 90's during the SNES era when they were REALLY good in the gaming industry.
    Especially Alladdin, this game was legend and the animation was fantastic.
    Aladdin was the shit!