Home Adobe Substance

Painter - Height Map Alphas look low res?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Stosh polycounter lvl 4
I'm currently in the process of applying more detail to my model within the height map in Substance Painter. I've made very basic alphas to just create panel lines on my model, but they are saved as a 1024x1024 alpha that I import into Painter to used as a brush and basically just stamp the brush stroke onto the model. The problem I believe I'm having is that if I orient the brush at any other angle other than 0,90,180, and 270 is that it looks very "low res" or pixelated. Now I'm not sure if this is just because Substance Painter doesn't render that out completely in the viewer or if I'm doing something wrong or should do something else. Here are some sample images to see what I'm talking about.

cWGDBkh.jpg

ier206A.jpg

You can see how the more odd angled lines are very choppy and pixelated. The actual alpha files themselves as I mentioned are 1024x1024 and are saved as jpgs. Not sure if changing the file type will help or not, but wanted to check with the polycount community and see if I could do this better before I go much further.

Thanks in advance

-Stosh

Replies