Home Technical Talk

Noise modifier with preserving UV coordinance

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Axcel polycounter lvl 14
I am looking noise modifier for max (2012) or Maya (2015) which preserve UV, don't stretch mapping.
Anyone heard about sth like this?

Replies

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Last I checked, the noise modifier doesn't modify the UV's.
    Textures stretch because the geometry is stretched away from its original mapping. You're mapping the same number of pixels to a distorted area.

If you wanted to avoid that you'd somehow need to compensate in the texture map by altering the fidelity of the distorted parts of the mesh, or having some kind of other adaptive texturing. Even if you compensated by distorting the UV's to preserve area, you'd wind up with something that looked like texture swimming if the distortion is animated.

If its a static effect, just unwrap the thing after the noise modifier has been applied.
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Fixing unwrapping by hand would take hours.
    You're right I don't want to freeze vertexes on UV map. I'd like them to be moved along with geometry deformation made by noise modifier (the same as checking "preserve uv" in polymodeling option in 3ds max.

But I found a solution.
    Exporting original model to zbrush and deformed one too. Then project in zbrush geometry from second onto first one.

Cheers :)