Home Adobe Substance

Converted old project - horrible grainy mess.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Beddall polycounter lvl 6
Hey,

So I'm trying to follow along with the tutorial from the official youtube channel, but I'm faltering at the very first step.I open the resource file (pilot lookin guy) like it says to in the pop up when i try to open a file. It then converts the project to the new type, but when the project loads it's a horrible grainy mess. I've searched on the google and on here but I can't seem to find any answers....so I'm assuming it's something really obvious....

... but then saying that, if i open the sample files, they don't seem to look that great either. (like, the same pilot model is in the samples but it doesn't seem to have much PBR wizardry going on, it looks much better in the video)

all drivers etc are up to date.

cheers

Replies

• NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    Images would help.
  • Beddall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. here are the pics, i should of put them in before really.... sorry.
    ehR2xiZ.jpg
    QuBuohg.jpg

top one is the converted project, the bottom one is the sample project.
    please note, this is my first time using painter, so it's a fresh install and i have no idea what any of the options do yet so it's no doubt something very simple. I just didn't want to start the tutorial with what already appeared to be a broken file / install or whatever.

Don't know if it's at all relevant but I've had no problems with Designer displaying the samples provided for those tutorials correctly.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    In your viewer settings, what is the intensity of height force parameter ? Default is 1.
    It's if not your problem, can you send me your project (by PM) ?
  • Beddall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

The Height Force was set to 1. Setting it to 0.1 gives me the kind of results I would be expecting to see (in the converted project). Seems like something is not right as 1 is way too much and after 3-4 the effect is so blown out that it makes no difference from then on all the way up to 10.(and a setting of one seems to work well with the other sample projects) Of course, this could be a problem with the assets, but I still haven't had chance to dig around in the program much yet.

The Hans project that is provided with the program still feels very flat, compared to the other 2 sample files, but perhaps this is just down to preference...
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Beddall wrote: »
    Hey,

The Height Force was set to 1. Setting it to 0.1 gives me the kind of results I would be expecting to see (in the converted project). Seems like something is not right as 1 is way too much and after 3-4 the effect is so blown out that it makes no difference from then on all the way up to 10.(and a setting of one seems to work well with the other sample projects) Of course, this could be a problem with the assets, but I still haven't had chance to dig around in the program much yet.
    Looks like a bug with one of our updater (that convert a project from one version to a newer one). I will need the project to be able to reproduce the issue.
    Beddall wrote: »
    The Hans project that is provided with the program still feels very flat, compared to the other 2 sample files, but perhaps this is just down to preference...
    You can't really compare the samples together since they use different materials and additional maps.
  • Beddall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

I have PM'd you a link to the project file.
    Alternatively you could download it from the forum link from this youtube vid.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv2su73jCrU&index=1&list=PLB0wXHrWAmCyJEDZLLQvusBxDbskFmh9K"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv2su73jCrU&index=1&list=PLB0wXHrWAmCyJEDZLLQvusBxDbskFmh9K[/ame]

the link is in the description on the youtube page.
  • wesm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wesm polycounter lvl 4
    Hi,

I'm sorry for this issue. The project had a different height force than what I showed in the video. The height force for the project file needs to be set to 0.5. I'm sorry for this confusion.

Cheers,

Wes