Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Cost of Animation

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
demonskunk polycounter lvl 10
I'm looking to launch a game on Kickstarter, and I'm wondering if any of you could tell me the average price that a 1 or 2 minute animation would cost to be commissioned?

I suppose it would depend on the complexity and detail of the animation, too... but, I dunno, I'm looking for ballpark estimates right now.

Thanks, to anyone who can give me some insight!

Replies

• AcTTooN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AcTTooN polycounter lvl 3
    i can't get it..
    do you ask about animation cycles,
    or game cinematic.

if you looking for price to make game cinematic
    it's depend on idea and storyboard.

how mush character, location you well design
    " it's long progress "

ask specific question .. to get clear answer.
  • lamb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamb polycounter lvl 7
    I vaguely remember some stuff, so take this with a grain of salt.

If this is a trailer/intro to catch the supporter's attention, it would most likely be divided into scenes. In this sense one static 2 minute scene would cost less than rapid succession of different scenes. there is also the question of the voiceover which can go up to $ 500 for 2 minutes and storyboard to which probably the standard rates apply.

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Freelance#Freelance_Rates

There are so many variables at the moment. It would be better to elaborate what kind of animation you exactly want.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    At my old company we paid a well known professional studio 4 million for 15 minutes of animation.

This was cinematic quality stuff, and you've probably seen lots of game trailers by said company.

That's the only reference I can offer.
  • dannyjones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As others have said, there are too many unknown variables to give even a ballpark estimate.

How many characters are there, and what will they be doing? Are they speaking? Are there props being animated too?

The cost of a two-minute animation of a single character sitting alone in an empty room talking to himself will differ greatly from the cost of a two-minute animation of 9 characters jumping and flipping around in an elaborately choreographed fight scene while stuff is exploding around them.
  • theANMATOR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theANMATOR polycounter lvl 6
    monster wrote: »
    At my old company we paid a well known professional studio 4 million for 15 minutes of animation.

This was cinematic quality stuff, and you've probably seen lots of game trailers by said company.

That's the only reference I can offer.

Yeah - I love Blur Studios Cinematic Animation work too.
    :poly134:
  • nifty5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In our studio we charge about $2000-3000 per 1 minute of flash animation. 3d or cell animation much more expensive