Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval City House

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
DweenieTodd polycounter lvl 3
Hi guys,

i've been working on something in my spare time, and it's very early in the process, so some feedback, tips and critique would be helpful! I've been working on a Medieval City House, and this will be the main focus of the project. I will make the house sit on a small island (similar shape to a turn table). Below are some shots from inside of Maya:

d77aa36e20.png

6955d2684e.png

ea30d2cc4a.png

8ce40dabef.png

I've unwrapped all the assets seen in this scene, and plan to create more. I also have some Rocks, Grass, Pebbles and Tree's created from other projects which i'll add later. Below is the house built in UE4:

c17ce3e91d.png

So a little bit on the scale & measurements. The door is 195 cm tall. I've based this on my height size, which is around 178 cm, and built the rest of the house around my height. The island i will create, is likely to be done inside of the unreal engine, although i may decide to create this inside of Maya.

All critique is welcomed!

Replies

• foreverlost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there, keep on trucking. What sort of style are you planning on? I think if you pushed this in a more stylized direction, it could be nice. If you also make it more a themed environment or shop, like a medieval blacksmith, alchemy shop, etc... that would more naturally bring some interesting props to the scene.
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking very much a blacksmith shop! I've got some crates, barrels, wooden strips ready and will create the black smith tools needed! Although this is still early stages, and could well change!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Looking nice! One crit though, It looks very cramped in there, like what would actuall fit inside? would even a stair up to the second floor actuall fit inside there?

Other than that :) Good work! Looking forward to more!
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i've been doing a little bit more work to the project, as shown in the shots below:

79dc82d00b.png

ecd41184a5.png

77fc7d3616.png

413a0155f7.png

I'm satisfied with the brick texture, although i'm going to adjust the Normal map a little bit on it.

The wood texture, although the overall look such as the grains are relatively nice, and i feel if i adjusted the Roughness maps more, they'd pop greatly, the colour is less than convincing. So i'll be adjusting these.

The shingle texture on the small roof, looks extremely poor in my opinion, and will need a lot of work to make it look convincing.

The wood texture on the upper part of the house, i feel is a good start, just needs to be pushed a bit more.

I've decided upon a blacksmith styled house, and will create more props to populate the little scene! The island it's currently sitting on, just a quick something i sculpted with the terrain editor, will place more thought and effort into this soon!

All critique is welcomed :)
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i've done a little bit more work to the scene:

76da0172cc.png

Although this is still early days, i'm not all to keen on the textures, and struggling a little bit. However, no PBR, Spec and normal maps have been added yet.

Whats everyone else's thoughts?