Home Technical Talk

Model doesn't look blocky?

YellowYeti
vertex
Offline / Send Message
YellowYeti vertex
This may be a stupid question and i don't really know how to word it properly so the title might sound dumb, but i'm following an online tutorial for modeling and it's my first time modeling anything organic really, and it's a human so needless to say i've been trying my hardest to see everything i had to do, so when i was just about finished with the basics of the head i imported the head from the tutorial and compared the 2, i saw a big difference when his model was drastically different in the fact that it seemed to be more blocky looking (the best word i can think of for it) and i'm just wondering if this is a modeling error on my part because i'm new and shit at modeling people since it's my first person or this was because it was on an older version of maya or it was imported or something? Thanks!

[I forgot to add that if it wasn't totally obvious from first glance my head is the really shitting looking one on the right]

Replies

• Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    The faceting you see on your model is determined by your vertex normal configuration. If an edge looks sharp then they are considered hard normals. You might hear the term "smoothing split" thrown around, it's pretty much the same thing. If they aren't hard normals they are soft normals, also known as averaged normals.

Depending on the version of Maya you're using, you can adjust these settings under one of these menus:

Normals > Harden Edge or Soften Edge
    Mesh Display > Harden Edge or Soften Edge

The above options work in object mode and all component modes.

More info:

You can also use Set Normal Angle... to automatically configure normals for your entire model.

You can view your model's vertex normals under Display > Polygons > Vertex Normals. Green lines are regular vertex normals, if you see any yellow ones they are "locked" and cannot be modified (hardened or softened). To unlock them choose Normals (or Mesh Display) > Unlock Normals
  • YellowYeti
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowYeti vertex
    Oh wow thanks Bartalon that really helped me, i was thinking that i was doing something wrong this whole time with the actual modeling aspect. Thanks for that reply!