Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First model - Low Poly hand painted texture.

Benwiddowson
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Benwiddowson polycounter lvl 2
Hey Everyone, I started learning modeling with maya about 3 weeks ago to strengthen my portfolio.

I wanted to start with low poly to learn the processes of uv, texturing, and rigging. then bring it into zbrush and do a high poly projection after getting your thoughts.

My first model is technically done, but I am having an issue with the texture/hypershade. For some reason regardless of how I add the texture to the model it is like it transparent. parts of the model overlap weird and the same thing happens when rendered no matter how I render it, the lighting etc. Anyone have any idea what is wrong and how to fix it?

Beyond the problem I hope you can tell me some places to improve and how! looking forward to your feedback!

Replies

• Mr_Cake_Fingers
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Cake_Fingers polycounter lvl 3
    I think for your first model especially this is impressive, I think the only problem with it is the design itself, since the model and texture work look really sound.
    What I mean by that is that when designing something, always thing about how the person using it/wielding it would do so. So for instance, here with this model, how would the person be holding it? There's no real practical way for someone to reach that handle without having their wrist in an odd position.
    One thing I can say about the texture (firstly, great use of uv space) is that its better to have a colour that matches the rest of the texture as the filler, rather than one that doesn't. Doing so will stop uv/colour bleeding. On a side not, its also much easier to work with a mid tone as the filler rather than an absolute colour, its easier on the eyes.