Homeโ€บ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Transport vehicle

Replies

• Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks! Hmm, I have around 300 or so that are customised : ) I try to keep them logical so that similar sub-tool hotkeys are the same between tools and so on. And add a few at a time and grind them in, never add too many at a time : )
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    Wow roughly 300. Man your a monster. i love the way you work mate, the kit bashed pieces and bespoke pieces are so scalable because of the way your using the edge shader. Hot stuff.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man, I've been watching your tutorials trying to find a part in it where you do something like I'm having trouble with personally, and I'm not seeing it.

I figured I would just ask here, feel free to ignore if its complicated or annoying to answer.

Basically I'm wondering what you would personally do to handle this situation in Modo Specifically...

It seems that if you are working with organic shapes you would still need to sub-d them in order to maintain control of your mesh and achieve complicated curves. So obviously you can't just rely on the smooth edge shader all the time. I'm playing around and sorta mixing the two and getting some interesting results. But I can't decide whats an effective way to approach something like this model below.

Most likely I would just create a floater of a bevel type shape and run it over the surface. I could model it out with support edges and stuff, but I see this getting really messy and potentionally messing up the larger curves I have going. A third option would be to boolean the bevel in, but this would require you to commit a few sub-d's in order to get the larger curves you need first. Again I think that gets too messy.

So would you just use floaters for this? Doesn't seem like any of these solutions are ideal really.

Modeling_advice_01.jpg
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Floaters is one way to do it. Another is to take that curvy shape you have there, freeze the sub-d mesh and then do a quick boolean : ) (thats probably what i would do, fastest)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Cool man, thanks. So is Freezing the sub-d mesh the same as dividing it (pressing "d")?
  • remotecrab131
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    remotecrab131 polycounter lvl 9
    I don't know why but this reminds me of Han solo in Star Wars. I really don't know why.

Great work btw. Sometimes we don't know what is the function of something. The truth is, we don't need to know as long as it look awesome.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, i take that as a compliment because Han solo is badass : D
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool man, thanks. So is Freezing the sub-d mesh the same as dividing it (pressing "d")?

Freezing basically turns the tessellated subd mesh into the cage.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The difference between dividing and freezing is that freezing the mesh locks it at the sub-d level it is currently at, including any morphs/sculpting, while dividing it only divides it to the next subd-level so to say : )
  • NachoSanchez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NachoSanchez polycounter lvl 4
    its really really beautiful XD
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Really enjoying the vids Tor, seeing the modo workflow in practice reallly makes me want to work in that program... looks so gooood.
  • Unimus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unimus polycounter lvl 3
    Your texturing is really good!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now lowpoly, and now in marmoset! :D Released the second part of the tutorial now, here: https://gumroad.com/products/HcyM/

Transport05.jpg
    Transport06.jpg
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome tor mate. Will definitely have to buy this.
    Top stuff
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks! : ) It was a real pain in the ass, note to myself, stop building so large things all the time. I should do something small and simple like a gun or something, derp >__<
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Can't wait to get my hands on mobo indie this xmas when it goes on sale
  • RasmusBagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RasmusBagner polycounter lvl 6
    Currently watching the new tut. pretty good so far. love dat "ugly" geo :P
    Do you ever get a smoothing problem when baking normal map in modo?
    like part of the object is smoothed and other part have no smoothing groups. only occurs in normal map?

Ps will you be making other tuts in the future, maybe some cool photoshop texturing and insanely cool UE4 Shader? pretty please :D
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Very awesome, just bought the latest vid, looking forward to seeing it!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RasmusBagner: Hmmm no I dont, sounds like you have messed up your shadertree or something : ) I will be making more tutorials, yeah. Next one will be an environment one for UE4 I think.
  • RasmusBagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RasmusBagner polycounter lvl 6
    Nice. looking forward to seeing some sweet texturing in that one. :)
  • dreamco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dreamco polycounter lvl 6
    I cant believe you've managed to reach such a level of texture complexity with just procedurals. I tried to produce some results like yours but i must be doing something wrong (if not nothing) with modo. I'm so frustrated at how you can combine 2 or maybe three texture generators (noise, occlusion etc) to drive a material channel or to mask something else. Any tutorial in the future on how to achieve such results? My reference i'm trying to recreate, material wise is this:

Petrol03.jpg
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dreamco: i go through that exact shader in the first transport tutorial, this one uses pretty much exactly the same setup : ) (still relatively simple) I might do some more tutorials on mroe complex modo materials in the future though : )