Home Technical Talk

Maya - selecting face behind face

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Axcel polycounter lvl 14
Hello,
I am a fresh user of Maya and struggling a lot with adapting. There is no so many basic things from 3ds max. :) But you probably know this.

Right now I am looking for a solution for selecting faces covered by other faces. Like I have a bunch of trees with alpha, but there is too many of them and I want to delete some of them, selected manually.
Manuvering camera to find a bit of face which isn't already covered is very time consuming.

Replies

• DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can try selecting the visible ones. Then, hold down shift and drag a box over an area. That will inverse your selection.

Maya's select tool by default will cover everything, even the non-visible ones completely covered by other things. You can change thins behavior by holding down q and left mouse button in viewport, then move your mouse to > Select > Camera Base selection.
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Ym, it's not related with my problem from what I understand.

What I want is to select faces as in 3ds max, switching by clicking between occured and non occured ones. Right now there is no way to select covered faces in efficient way.

Btw, there is no @camera base selection under "select".
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y5Cvyon.png
    oNfKr1Z.png

Sorry not a MAX user here so I wouldn't know exactly, but if you can show me some screenshots how you do it in MAX maybe I can give you a better tip.

Was thinking you probably can select the ones not covered, then shift left mouse drag to reverse, so those covered inside would be selected instead.
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    I am not moving my cursor (unfortunately cursor isn't captured on screenshots). I'm just clicking LMP, nothing more.

OjWetxQ.jpg
    LQqzVky.jpg
    kByMjIS.jpg
    YUpyuel.jpg
    46pPRQi.jpg
    sJSuxI4.jpg
    6jP34Pu.jpg
    YpspTZ0.jpg