Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Star Wars Probe Droid - WIP (Texturing)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
TheKlu polycounter lvl 8
Hello everyone!
Going to be quickly, i've done, or at least try it, an Star Wars Probe Droid.
Here are the pics:

P3QNIhH.png

FgvEGCg.png

Ok, i would like some criticism! :)
And i have a question, i can't find a way to UV mapped all this, any idea?

Thanks for watching and...

May the force be with you.

Replies

• C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Is this supposed to be the blockout, the highpoly or the final lowres mesh?
    I´d say this shouldn´t be your final lowres mesh because it has many polies you don´t need.
    Do you plan to use a normal map to get some nice round edges and so on?

And of course you can uv map ALL of this ; ). Why not?
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    This looks like only the first step in a blockout, it looks like you still need to do the highpoly (turbo smooth and sud-d) Then once you build a low poly version to bake to, it will be much easier to unwrap
  • TheKlu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheKlu polycounter lvl 8
    C86G wrote: »
    Is this supposed to be the blockout, the highpoly or the final lowres mesh?
    I´d say this shouldn´t be your final lowres mesh because it has many polies you don´t need.
    Do you plan to use a normal map to get some nice round edges and so on?

And of course you can uv map ALL of this ; ). Why not?
    This looks like only the first step in a blockout, it looks like you still need to do the highpoly (turbo smooth and sud-d) Then once you build a low poly version to bake to, it will be much easier to unwrap

Wow, i'm seeing that there are too many things that i don't know o.o

What else i could do to the model? You talked about making it more high poly, but for what? Sorry for being this noob lol I want to learn all those things. Any idea where to learn to make for example make round edges with normals? Or what to make with higher poly amount? Thanks, i really apreciatte your help :)
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Well, usually you have a high poly mesh with nicely rounded edges (when using something like turbosmooth) and all the details you need and a low res mesh. The normal map contains alle the nice detail from the highpoly and transfers it to your lowpoly.

There are tons of good tutorials an breakdowns for this.

For example, have a look at one of my works:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/revolver-ritchie-brink

The first images show the highpoly version, then you can see the lowpoly version and at the bottom the wireframe of it. The bolts and rounded egdes are not in the lowpoly mesh itself, but in the normal map (you see the lowpoly + normals in the last image)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    TheKlu wrote: »
    Wow, i'm seeing that there are too many things that i don't know o.o

What else i could do to the model? You talked about making it more high poly, but for what? Sorry for being this noob lol I want to learn all those things. Any idea where to learn to make for example make round edges with normals? Or what to make with higher poly amount? Thanks, i really apreciatte your help :)

We were just trying to make sure we were understanding where you were at on the project. THe wiki at top of page has alot of info

http://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/next-gen-weapon-creation-part-1-the-high-poly-model--cg-782

This tutorial series by Ben Bolton I think is a fantastic way to start off
  • TheKlu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheKlu polycounter lvl 8
    We were just trying to make sure we were understanding where you were at on the project. THe wiki at top of page has alot of info

http://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/next-gen-weapon-creation-part-1-the-high-poly-model--cg-782

This tutorial series by Ben Bolton I think is a fantastic way to start off
    C86G wrote: »
    Well, usually you have a high poly mesh with nicely rounded edges (when using something like turbosmooth) and all the details you need and a low res mesh. The normal map contains alle the nice detail from the highpoly and transfers it to your lowpoly.

There are tons of good tutorials an breakdowns for this.

For example, have a look at one of my works:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/revolver-ritchie-brink

The first images show the highpoly version, then you can see the lowpoly version and at the bottom the wireframe of it. The bolts and rounded egdes are not in the lowpoly mesh itself, but in the normal map (you see the lowpoly + normals in the last image)

Thanks you for all those advices!
    I'll be looking to improve all that, i'm going to stop this project to make it better! Thanks! ^-^
  • timetodoit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there, im new to 3d too, saw this thread and got some questions :)

Making the low poly version is because it's easier to texture? OR can he just use the highpoly model?

Other question, when you say make a low poly version and bake the normals does that mean that you transfer the detail of the highpoly onto textures and it will look like the high poly?