Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

My Animation Demo Reel 2015

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Hakase polycounter lvl 2
Hey guys, I graduated from college a few months ago with an awful demo reel, and have been working on this new one since my internship ended. I'd appreciate any critiques or pointers you could give me to help with my job search.

[vv]134602534[/vv]

Or you can watch it on my website JakeAnimates.com

P.S. if anyone knows how to embed vimeo videos in on this forum, let me know!

Replies

• linwail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linwail polycounter lvl 5
    Well, I think you should add some more examples of work you have done. They don't have to be long animations, just need to be able to show off more skills. All I see with this is that you are able to create a lip sync animation. That being said, when I watched this animation, I kept seeing the characters hand sliding on the table/counter thing. I think you should stop the sliding and it would help a lot.
  • Hakase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hakase polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for pointing out the thing with the hand, I'm rendering that bit out again right now.

Do you have any suggestions on what else I should make to include in the reel? The only other work I have is assignments from school which are not very impressive to look at.
  • linwail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linwail polycounter lvl 5
    Well, what my professor told me was that I should take assignments from class and continue to work on them for a couple months after class ended so there would be more items in my reel. I would choose one or two animations you have that may show off other skills or that have very good potential and work on them.
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    [FONT=&quot]Hello Hakase![/FONT]
    1. [FONT=&quot]First of I would suggest you simplify your opening and ending curtain, there are too many elements there, you only need your name/position and contact info. (Check some animation reels around vimeo or youtube :)) you can always write the rest in the description of the video.[/FONT]
    2. [FONT=&quot]Do more animations! :)! You can post them here in the forum and I am sure there will be people that will give you an honest opinion about them.[/FONT]
    3. [FONT=&quot]You have a dialogue shot, so you want to be in features? :)! If you want a shot in videogames try to do cycles and attacks too. Try to focus where you are heading, it’s not rare that people that have feature animation gets into videogames (cinematic department! Or just straight to in game animations) But I think that it will help you more to have the animations according to the industry you are looking for.[/FONT]
    4. [FONT=&quot]Don't worry about the render that much, yeah it’s nice to have pretty things but at the end the animation is what matters.[/FONT]
    5. [FONT=&quot]If you have other animations from school and they are awesome, why not include them? :P but avoid the typical animation exercises like lifting a box or pushing something , unless they have that sparkle that can difference from the others.

Just my opinion, welcome to the jungle :)! you will love it[/FONT]
  • Hakase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hakase polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for the tips guys! I got some really good critiques and suggestions from over at 11secondclub.com as well, so I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do to make myself a much better reel.

I'll be posting some new stuff around here soon, thanks again!
  • blinKX10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
    The camera is way too busy. If you're going to have a camera move have it on the opening shot, but keep it simple and straight.
    You could easily make this just two camera angles. Keep the opening shot but make it just a linear pullout, and then the last angle.

As for the animation: everything is really stiff and straight, there needs to be arcs and nice curved lines of action. Here is an example of what I mean http://www.animatorisland.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Posing0003.jpg