Home Technical Talk

zBrush and Maya - differences

Hey,
Any 3D Modeling and animator professional could tell me the difference between Maya and zBrush? I know that you can`t animate in zBrush but for game modeling which one is better? We have a better program or is just preference? Which one is easier?

Thanks

Replies

• DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They serve completely different purposes.

Maya covers the entire production. You can start your model and UV it, create materials/shaders, do look development, hair, rigs, animation, dynamics, FX (fire, explosion, dust, water, etc) every thing you'd expect to complete your animation or production shot.

Zbrush is a sculpting app. Think digital clay. It does some other things related to modeling too people use it mostly for working with extremely high poly model giving it all sorts of details. It generates details that can be used in other apps like MAX or Maya.

Easier - You have to understand that there are 2 skills involved here. The understanding of the application itself, which can take months to master, and the artistic/technical skills needed for certain task in the pipeline which can take years. Maya is so huge you'll likely only pick 1 or 2 aspect to master whereas Zbrush is pretty focus on modeling/sculpting side.
  • escudero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you dude, I really appreciate.