Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

How can I improve the mesh of this Fish?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Stu2Prof polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys

I'm still learning a lot about modelling and just wanted to get some feedback on my most recent model. Is there anything you can see that could be improved upon?

[sketchfab]aa76eda6d7cb43d086cb363aa777c697[/sketchfab]
Fish by studtoprof on Sketchfab

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Do you have a concept yo're working from? My first instinct was to say most fish mouths don't look like that, but if you're working from a concept that has it like that, it's fine.
  • Byrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Byrd polycounter lvl 6
    Well as nice and clean a low poly mesh as that is, you'd have a hard time animating it if you tried due to a lack of relevant polys in the areas it needs. It doesn't need it everywhere, just in places where bending would take place. It would take a while to explain where those areas are on fish, so my advice would be go watch videos of similar fish swimming. Look especially near the tail and the subtle movements of the lower fins. It doesn't need much more information but more than you have.

Also, you get an excuse to watch fish swimming.
  • Stu2Prof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! The mouth is on purpose a little bit silly but I was just working from my head rather than any particular concept. I'll definitely have a look at some fish swimming videos. I hope to paint it this week so it looks a bit nicer
  • Stu2Prof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No paint yet but I have done another fish so just gonna throw it up for the time being

[sketchfab]d0669780a556476aab90bf53e8d4ad85[/sketchfab]
    Eel by studtoprof on Sketchfab
  • Byrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Byrd polycounter lvl 6
    I'd be tempted to try and remove the bevel line around the rim of your fins. If you're careful you could get a cleaner finish and lose a lot of polys. You might have to tinker with hardening the edges around those seams though to get a nice result if you wanted to use a normal map. You may want to trim down the poly count in a few places as well, or at least add the same level across the board. It seems a little disjointed in its topology.

Also, I'm not sure what kind of fish that is, it isn't any eel I know of, but that tail fin seems a little small to propel a fish with that girth.

Anyway, just my two cents. Just have fun with your fishies.