Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Working on a shot for my reel

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
penOr polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, I haven't posted to the animation forum on polycount before (found polycount through the dota 2 workshop). Great to see people posting reels and asking for critiques!

Here's a shot I've been working on to complete my reel. One more shot after this and it'll be full enough that I can start applying for jobs!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV7UlmBFxZc[/ame]

Replies

• PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
    This is great work dude. If you show this level of animation throughout your reel, you'll pick up work in no time :)
    I love the subtleties and small moves you've done, simple camera works great. The itches, snorts and feet adjustments do it for me. Keep this work up! Hope to see a reel soon.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Glad to see you finally made it!

And it looks like you made some changes to the shot too! Great stuff!

I still feel like the jump out of the tree is a little slow, but that might just be because I cant see the ground. Overall, good work! (POST MOAR)
  • linwail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linwail polycounter lvl 5
    This looks great! I agree that the jump could be a little faster. With that being said, I can still see the weight of the character, which is a good thing. Keep up the good work!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I found his scratch unconvincing. Like he was just pretending to scratch. Or acting out a scratch motion. Not like he really had an itch.

I still think it's super good though.
  • Eric Huang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric Huang polycounter lvl 8
    Really nice work!!
  • Gulliver
  • penOr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the comments guys! I'm going to leave this shot for now and finish off a different one, and then come back to this with a fresh perspective.

@ heboltz3

I think it's the camera movement, but I need to prioritize animating for the camera

@ aesir

I agree. How do you think I could make it more convincing? Maybe I could do something with the face to show that he's enjoying the scratch (satisfaction)?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    It's absolutely the camera movement. Your camera is leading the action. As he falls, he moves up in the screen view, because the camera is moving too quickly to get to where he lands. You should let him jump and get towards the bottom of the screen before following him with the camera.

But ya. good stuff man! When he lands, his right shoulder feels like there is no weight in it. It's just always sticking out over his head. No motion to should he's taking the force of the jump in his arms, or even dropping his arm to the ground.

Also, your hand/feet timing feels a bit off, if you`re going for gorilla. The back foot generally moves first, and kicks the front foot forward. think of it trying to take the place of that front foot. Not literally kick it out of the way, but back foot, then front foot. So the timing/weight of one or two of your steps at the end feels off for that reason. those 2 slow steps forward when he pauses.
  • Blizz_kathyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blizz_kathyz polycounter lvl 7
    Be sure to post your finished reel when it's ready, would love to see it!
  • absorbentghost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    absorbentghost polycounter lvl 6
    Penor Let me invite u to a Skype group for animators working on their demo reel .
  • penOr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    Sure, I will pm you my skype username.

Bad news, my SSD packed up this morning and I'm pretty sure it's dead. I do backups occasionally, but I hadn't backed up since working on this shot. The only thing I have now is the youtube video (which I've downloaded, but it's not full quality...), so I can't make any fucking changes... my own fault, time to download a daily backup program...