Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

PBR Cliff Rock Texture

Shuaws
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys just finished this little texture just looking for some feedback let me know if im missing something

nZiNIHA.jpg

Replies

• Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Lets so some texture flats, and maybe a few more renders of different lighting conditions.
    Looking pretty solid.
  • Shuaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    Heres a shot with some lights

wQ94F1U.jpg
  • CrackRockSteady
    The forms look pretty good but I feel like the textures/material could use work. I agree with Fwap, definitely post up texture flats, it'll be easier for people to help.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    The overall sculpt looks great but there seems to be something missing in the textures. When I made the bottom image larger I started to notice the subtle reds that you put in. I think adding a bit more saturation in some more areas could help.
  • Lord Waffles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Waffles polycounter lvl 10
    Overall I'm completely digging it! Maybe adding a bit more discoloration on some of edges or maybe a little more moss and dirt in the cracks might add a little more interest.
  • Shuaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    So just to let you guys know this wall all done in photoshop no zbrush work done on this one, i wanted to see how much i could get just by using crazybump and ndo2 for normals, i just blended a few textures together for the albedo. Here are the flats

RXCX1Uw.jpg
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    PBR textures should have no lighting information (With the exception of Ambient Occlusion).

This is unlike the old system where Ambient Occlusion would be put into the diffuse map.
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
    Seems cool right now :) .

Could you tell us which PBR Worflow your are using ? It seems to me that you are using Specular/Glossiness Stuff.

If so your specular have too much color and levels variations, every different pixel intensity is a different material on that map.

Your Gloss need to not be just your albedo in black and white, you need to have other noises and informations, to have something realistic your gloss need to bring other informations. (test to put a clouddy map you will see)

I agree with Robeomega, remove all shadow information from your Albedo and create a separate AO texture.

Hope that help.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Did you use a photosource? That'd explain the shadow detail in the albedo. Here's a nifty trick to removing the lighting info in your albedo. Maybe it'll come in handy for ya. Overall I'm diggin the details in your flats!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKQZN3eoKUo[/ame]
  • Shuaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the posts! Its funny i used that technique Chase, so you guys think theres still to much shadow? ill try and play around with that. I did use a metalness/gloss workflow, ill work on both of those maps and post some updates later today

Thanks again guys!
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I would say that that is an acceptable amount of shadow in your albedo for photosource, IMO.
  • Shuaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    Heres an update

dj33BvW.jpg
  • Shuaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The image looks like a finely made rock texture. Show it in motion (applied to something and in video) to get a better understanding of how it works in lighting or move on to the next one.
  • Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically the more AO information you take out from your Albedo the more flat the end result looks. Put your last image side by side the image you have in the OP and you see the OP is much more acceptable in terms of end result quality and what you was aiming for.

I see the more you made progress and took out more AO from the Albedo to make it more like "following the rules" other than "looking to make the end result nicer", the material started to lose any sense of depth.

I have spent a lot of time going back and fourth between taking out all the AO information from Albedo and using an AO map instead. The result is, as soon as any light is reaching the surface the AO isn't showing anymore, with you not having any AO in your Albedo too, it just doesn't look any good. Pretty much what you have in the last image.

I ended up leaving some AO information in my Albedo and tuning down my AO map down a little instead. Works best for me.