Home Freelance Job Postings

[Paid] Low Poly, Low Res, Low Fantasy (Characters and Props)

TL;DR: I'm in need of low poly models and textures for a fantasy game I'm programming. You need to be able to work in Blender. (Sorry Maya/3ds Max/ZBrush pros!)
Who I am

My name is Sam, but you can call me SmashMaster, or Smash for short. I'm a hobbyist programmer with aspirations of creating a game. You can check out my GitHub account to see some of my open source work.
What I need

I need a 3d artist who can make low poly models in Blender, along with doing uv mapping/creating low res textures. You'll need to know how to model proper joint topology for animation. I can rig and animate myself, but if you know how to do that too, all the better.

I'd like art somewhat along the lines of PlayStation 1 models. Very low res textures, very low poly models. This is a stylistic decision, not some kind of technical limitation. This thread on NeoGAF provides some great examples, two of which I've cherry-picked below:

s_Yrg_J2_S.png
tf2_group.jpg

Of course, there's also the thread here on Polycount, for even more examples of great low poly work.

If you're curious about the game, I'm making a low fantasy action RPG. I can make levels myself, but I'll need your help with characters, monsters, weapons, armor, and props. At the moment all I need is a player model and one or two weapons. I've programmed most of a full game engine all by myself at this point; I even have my own model format that supports rigging, textures, animation, inverse kinematics, etc. You can check out my python exporter for Blender here, if you're curious.

You'll need to be fluent in English. I would prefer to communicate over Steam or TeamSpeak. I'm not kidding--those work best for me. We can correspond via email as long as you're responsive. I might even be willing to download Skype again.
What I can pay

I am an individual hobbyist, not a game company. I work a full time job for an hourly wage, and I'm making this game out of passion. I cannot pay as much as you probably deserve for your work. But I will make sure you are compensated for your time. I can offer royalties on top of freelance contract payment.

So shoot me a PM with your portfolio if you're interested in helping an indie dev make something.

Replies