Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steel Battle Axe

loggie24
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
Created this axe as practice. Feels fairly done but four eyes work better than two. Tell me what you think about it. If you like it, feel free to give it a thumbs up on ArtStation.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/battle-axe-90db16c2-7867-4849-989a-a0f98c17c28d

johan-stoerkersen-screen04.jpg?1436283130

johan-stoerkersen-screen05.jpg?1436283132

johan-stoerkersen-screen06.jpg?1436283127

Replies

• loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump, still interested in some critique.
  • asyrvachev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asyrvachev polycounter lvl 8
    Loggie, it is fairly done.

What I would think make it even a better model:
    more polygons for the blade. Right now it feels a little too angular.
    This area near the handle caught my eye.
    skEXoVw.jpg
    In my opinion it should be rounder.

The blade texture is too uniform. The cutting edge of the blade does not look like it was ever sharpened, however there is sign of wear on the it.
    There should be difference in specular/roughness values of the blade and the cutting edge. The edge of the blade should receive more specularity/less roughness. In other words, make it shinier. More grime on the rest of the blade.
    This will make your model pop more.

You can see that difference in values of the edge and blade in images below.
    7185497413_9187bb0172_c.jpg
    2959649-1363638764.jpg
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there! Thanks for feedback. Did what you told me! Tweaked the wood parts as well.

screen10_zps8hzoyuvl.png
  • asyrvachev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asyrvachev polycounter lvl 8
    Loggie, hope you don't mind, I made a quick paintover. Not the best thing under the sun but just to get the message across:
    SyCoNOz.png
    I think you can push the envelope even further. Break the uniformity of color on the blade. Right now there is this difference in color values, but it looks a bit artificial.
    wBWx9JE.jpg
    The circled area is looking a bit weird. I don't think a real blade would have these marks which look like they were left by sand. A tad much whirly-wavy looking.

Just give it a bit more love and human touch :-)
    Also, perhaps the lighting is not making the model justice?
    Oh, and that metallic bit with spikes on the handle looks brand new. Maybe give it a bit more grime, battering. Show that life was not easy for him as well and it is not only the blade of the axe that has seen it all :-)

Cheers
  • chilemang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chilemang polycounter lvl 9
    would you mind posting your textures if you get a chance