Home General Discussion

Is Autodeks' ECS a viable option?

Hi guys, my brother and I are just launching our game studio and were discussing which grahpics softwares we should stick with and which we should forgo. We have worked in Maya, 3dsmax and Blender equally but we haven't decided which software to purchase/use (we are on a realitively low budget.) I was intruged by autodesks' Entertainment Creation Suite as it includes all of the softwares we need/want to get going (well besides things like quixel.)

My questions is as follows: would it be a good move to buy a perpetual lisence for ECS? Or is there something I don't know about it which I should be warned about? We have substantial knowledge in 3dsmax and mudbox as well as Maya (I'm not as familure with motionbuilder) and we do all our own animations and asset creation. Would it be cost effective to go this route, or should we simply stick with liscencing one software?

Thanks for any feedback :poly142:

Replies

• Monkey_Biz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If anyone has a thought, I would really apreciate it. Or does anyone know of some resources I could look at to help me make a decision? Thanks! :)
  • dmj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dmj
    My general advice would be to spend as little as possible. Making indie games is a risky venture, and the best way to reduce that risk is by being frugal. The perpetual license of the ECS is over $7000, and it really seems like a luxury when you should be able to do the job just as easily with either Max or Maya individually. And even then it might make more sense for you to opt for the subscription license, which you can get for $1500 a year, rather than pay $4000 outright for the perpetual license of Max or Maya.

If you feel comfortable with Blender and know that it can meet your production requirements, then I would strongly recommend taking that route and saving the money.

Another option would be to look into Maya LT, which you could pair with Mudbox for around $350 annually.
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    It would be cost effective if you need all the software and having the flexibility is nice, of course.

I wouldn't buy just on spec, but in the end, if you have the money: Why not?
    (Different people will understand different things under "relatively low budget" and seeing that you consider to buy the suites at all, it can't be terribly low.)
    Just don't forget the subscription costs if you plan to keep your versions current.

Another thing to consider is that Autodesk will continue to sell perpetual licenses for single software only for a limited time, now. (I think the suites aren't affected by that, but don't take my word for it.)
    From my point of view the most sensible solution would be to decide for one base software, buy a perpetual license while you still can and keep that on maintenance subscription as long as you can. (Assuming you have the money lying around and then some.)

What software that would be is really completely up to you. Consider what you feel comfortable with but also that maybe some day you want to bring in some other people into the pipeline.

I understand the software is for the two of you?
    Then make sure that both are allowed to use the license at the same time.
    There are all kinds of different models. Network license, shared license etc. and it might be cheaper than buying two seats.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Why dont you spend nothing? You would only have to buy big name software if your clients wanted products delivered in that format. Specialy for a new venture I would stick to Blender, Gimp, Krita, xnormal. The only things I would buy would be zbrush and quixel, and these two are very economically priced as it is.

I dont think i read what market you are aiming for.
  • Monkey_Biz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the love! :) I think your right Noren, buying one software would be the best route to go. While I don't have the money "lying around" I have been saving for some time and have been very frugal in personal life to afford the software we need. I'll talk it over with my brother and we will figure it out. Thanks guys! :)
    @kanga we are developing a game on the Cryengine. Google Hiddyn Exordium.