Home General Discussion

I'm Lost ! And need advice!

Hi,
Im 17 years old, and I really want to work in the creative industry since I was 12. I started to learn Maya and other programs starting about 2 years ago.
Its summer break now and I really want to work on a portfolio in order to get in to architecture school, and this is where my problem starts. I have amazing ideas, and I have the technical skills in Maya. I'm trying to make a scene similar to what koola dose ([ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwEuSxAEXPA[/ame]). But I all ways run in to problems throughout the process and I get really frustrated and some times sad lol.

Here is a list of some of the problems im encountering:

1) Modeling: This one is quite stupid but I all ways because to paranoid about scale for some reason. So can some one clarify for me exactly how scale works from Maya to UE4.

2) Texturing: I got Substance designer for texturing but I'm not sure if I should use it for arch-viz or if I should go the old fashion way and just use Photoshop.

3) Discipline: I lots of times run in to problems and get frustrated and just quit for the day, can you give me some advice from your experience to help me cope with such feelings. I know its something that I have to learn to deal with but I would like to hear what other people do when they get frustrated.

Thank you!

Replies

• DireWolf
    2) Always start with the basic. You should first be able to use Photoshop to a pretty decent level before diving into anything else like substance.

3) don't set goals too ambitious for yourself. Set a realistic, achievable goal. Starting a project and not being able to finish it is a big demotivate.

I don't think you need amazing portfolio to get into the school tho right? Because that should be what the school teaches you to do.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I know that 3DS Max to UE4 uses a scale of 1 unit in max = 1cm in unreal. I should imagine it's the same with maya, if you can set it to use generic units.

Substance is fine, it's just a tool. However, I don't think it's ideal to learn as a beginner. I would suggest learning some basic photoshop skills first. By all means try designer though, it might make more sense to you. Just avoid using the built in generators to make your art for you.
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    3) This is an issue with targets - like DireWolf states. Keep it simple and work from a knowledge base that you've gained yourself. Be happy with the simple things and then work towards the greater ones - complex stuff. However, always be ambitious. A good thing is to conceptualise what needs to be done before even starting to create something, then again if something seems like loads of fun, then create it. I often have rough documents of what I'd like to achieve at hand, just for making notes and planning ideas. Macro for Megro. I don't even think that it's a word.
  • Immanu'EL Segol
  • Immanu'EL Segol
    Thank you for the advice! It was really helpful!