Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: Import grunge mask doesn't do anything/crashes

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
FelixL polycounter lvl 4
Hi,

So I'm making a vehicle that has some decals on it. Since I want the decals to have chipped paint, I chose to not mask out the decal material in the ID map, but rather to add a custom, independent mask for it.

I am trying to import this mask as a custom grunge map in the dynamask editor.
This procedure isn't really explained in the wiki, so I might be getting something wrong.

First of all, after selecting the map and hitting ok, nothing happens, and PS/Quixel will hang and crash after a minute. I have to minimize then maximize Photoshop by clicking on its start menu icon, then hitting enter. This way, it will actually load. I suppose there's an issue with a dialog/window being covered up by quixel and being invisible.

After loading the custom map, it appears in the layer palette, but the actual mask of the material I'm editing still stays white. The custom mask doesn't do anything. Am I supposed to check on of the options (texture/curvature, etc) for it to work?

Felix

Replies

• Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Hello,

I believe the problem when you import the mask is that you need to either double click the imported mask or press enter to confirm the placement. Could that be the cause of the problem you're having?

Secondly, if your starting dynamask is white the grunge mask won't be visible as it's imported as black and white. Can you see the mask if you import it into a non-white dynamask?

Best,
    Wiktor
  • FelixL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL polycounter lvl 4
    Hi, As for your first comment, it's a normal file open dialog, you select the map and click open. The steps I listed are still necessary. Actually, it seems that after adding the custom grunge mask, photoshop is in free transform mode, and you have to hit enter to apply the transform and continue.

As for the grunge mask, your tip helped! Thanks, I now understand how it's meant to work.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, the free transform is why I said you need to press enter to confirm the placement. Sorry if I was vague there. Does exiting free transform mode solve the issue you're having?

Glad I could help with the mask issue. :)
  • FelixL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL polycounter lvl 4
    Yes, it solves the issue. You should still look into automating this.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, and glad it got sorted! :)