Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My First Substance!

Cnc96
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Cnc96 polycounter lvl 4
Hi all,
Over the past couple of days I've been messing around with Substance Designer.
Here is my first substance which I created. :)

DamjtUv.png

Any comments and crits would be appreciated.

P.S: I'm hoping to use the substance in part of this scene which I am planning on recreating in Unity

Replies

• leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    Can you post a higher res image? Right now, your sand albedo texture looks too procedural with the splotches. I'd mix it up a little or localize some of the darker sand to the lower areas, maybe. Your dunes could use some breakup and possibly even some blurring.

A cool trick is to take the dunes and plug it into a blur node(standard blur or HQ blur), then blend the blurred one with the one you have now, with some sort of cloud/grunge alpha. You'll have to tweak the alpha with Levels or Histogram scan/range, but it'll help you get some random softer areas.
  • Cnc96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cnc96 polycounter lvl 4
    leleuxart wrote: »
    Can you post a higher res image? Right now, your sand albedo texture looks too procedural with the splotches. I'd mix it up a little or localize some of the darker sand to the lower areas, maybe. Your dunes could use some breakup and possibly even some blurring.

A cool trick is to take the dunes and plug it into a blur node(standard blur or HQ blur), then blend the blurred one with the one you have now, with some sort of cloud/grunge alpha. You'll have to tweak the alpha with Levels or Histogram scan/range, but it'll help you get some random softer areas.

Hi,
    Thanks for the tips on the blurring, and here is a quick update on what I've now got.
    kZwxQZy.png

But for your first point about the albedo, I'm not quite sure how I'd achieve this as I'm still very new with the program?