Home Technical Talk

Maya 2016 StingrayPBS shader Lighting issues

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Ladygrace polycounter lvl 5
I have been testing how the new shader in Maya works but i am noticing a few bugs and issues with it.

If there is more then 1 light in the scene, it seems to use only the first created light and disables the others.

Now the lights can change but only 1 at a time by disabling the the current lighting one.

Also if you deselect the object with the shader it forces the last numbers/settings in the options of the shader to become the maximum settings (Change change it back with numbers)

Replies

• radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    The PBR Shader in Maya is set up by default to only support 1 light.

Open up shaderfx

Click the "Standard Base" node, (the orange one)

Open its properties and set the "Lights" attribute to however many lights you would like the shader to use.
  • Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ladygrace polycounter lvl 5
    The PBR Shader in Maya is set up by default to only support 1 light.

Open up shaderfx

Click the "Standard Base" node, (the orange one)

Open its properties and set the "Lights" attribute to however many lights you would like the shader to use.

Thank you very much for this information, i couldnt find it anywhere :)
  • pixel_xyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixel_xyz polycounter lvl 2
    Hello people,
    here's my problem with a stingray shader in maya.

I have setup the multi lights setup correctly, but i keep losing this connection between the lights in the scene and the material everytime i open the scene again. So everytime i have to go in every single material and tell maya that there are 2 or more lights to take in account.
    Do you guys know if there's an option to tell maya or the shader to remember this light link?
    Any help will be appreciated! Thanks
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    It's not a case of you editing an Instanced/Referenced shader group?
    These groups have a small "R" on the node itself if I'm not mistaken. You can edit these and get the immediate change in the current Maya instance. But unless you save this change to the referenced data on disk it will be lost. Since when you open the scene again it's going to read from the referenced data on disk, i.e. these edits wouldn't be stored in the scene file.

EDIT:
    If this is the case you can of course update the referenced data, but there's also the possibility to select the referenced group and select "Make group unique"(or something similar) from the "Group"(?) menu. Sorry I don't have it in front of me at the moment.

EDIT2:
    Oh yes, and welcome to Polycount. Please stick around and if you get help try to pay it forward :)
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Maybe you are updating a value directly on the "master node" which is a referenced entity, and therefore this behavior? If so the correct way to set number of lights would be to create a "Int Value" node, connect to the parameter you used to set manually directly on the node before and set the value in your new Int Value node instead. You could even expose it as a material parameter to have easier access to it.
  • pixel_xyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixel_xyz polycounter lvl 2
    Hey that was an incredibly fast reply! Thanks kodde!
    Ok problem sorted. Here what it was: I did have a referenced character in my scene, but the materials where already made unique. The mistake was that i made them unique in the animation file and not in the rigging file which was referenced in the animation scene. So i opened up the rig again, raised the number of lights to more than 1 in the standard base node inside the shader Fx node editor, and then saved the rig again and tried to reopen it. In all the following file openings lights were working fine.
    Thank you very much for your help! reeeally appreciated B)