Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flash Bang

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
merwynl polycounter lvl 8
Hi all, here's a prop piece I modelled as part of a personal project after a CTS 7290. Feedback and critiques would be appreciated.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/flash-bang

irEGUNX.png
pXgbIhv.png

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    It's a great model, but the label is hurting this. color choice, and the type is so uniform and perfect, I'd rough it up a bit and ditch the thin light white framing around the font. Where's the pin?

1696476-7290_147mm_high.jpg
  • merwynl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice! Haha! Somehow I completely missed the pin. I'll add those in next. I hadn't realize before that 3DO and Marmoset renders a completely different output. 3DO seems to render the spec and gloss differently and seems to have a more contrasty look with vibrant colours.

XFNYdQW.png
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Hi!
    Good result!
    Orange is a nice touch but I also think there's too much of it.
    In every reference of the grenade that I found, colors are rare. And for good reason.
    You could make orange stripes rather, or only on some parts.
    For example:
    DSC02697_DCE_zps79e98674.jpg
  • merwynl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for your feedback! I've changed the color scheme and added the little pin thing on the ring. still not entirely convinced by the grime. maybe it needs to be a little darker?

3wAtE7X.png
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The grime color doesn't need to be darker in my opinion but the grime seems to exist only on the label and not on the black metallic parts (those seem still too clean and shiny).

A last small detail/suggestion: I would change the material for the orange stripes. Painted metal I think (like the reference above, the red part).
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Not that I ever saw a flashbang in real life, but it looks to me like you might be overdoing the gloss or roughness on the metal material, those highlights look super sharp and looks to me more like glass or being covered in a film of oil.

Definitely am seeing a large improvement of the materials with each post though, keep it up!
  • Staubkopf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Staubkopf polycounter lvl 3
    i like where this is going :)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Deathstick wrote: »
    Not that I ever saw a flashbang in real life, but it looks to me like you might be overdoing the gloss or roughness on the metal material, those highlights look super sharp and looks to me more like glass or being covered in a film of oil.

Definitely am seeing a large improvement of the materials with each post though, keep it up!

I have and you are right, its much flatter usually because it gets carried around or laying in open areas. It is not very glossy
  • oxygencube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    Looks much better with the orange as a accent color. I'm with skyline, bump up the roughness. The model looks great.
  • merwynl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's what I've got after making some of those changes. Also swapped out the sky for one with a little color in it. I noticed the main casing was starting to look more like plastic so I swapped it out for a similar metal to the orange stripes. I'm wondering though that maybe the ring is starting to look more like plastic?

Thanks guys!

l6wh86T.png
  • merwynl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turned on secondary reflections inside marmopset. also pumped up some of the scratches a little.

BN9Veq3.png
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm wondering though that maybe the ring is starting to look more like plastic?
    Hm Yes. Well now it's just a matter of finding the right dosage of roughness. What maps do you use for the material definition? Metalness and roughness?
    Would you be interested in sharing them?
  • merwynl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using an albedo, normal, ao, cavity, metalness and roughness setup. Software wise I'm using a bit of dDo with some custom layering and the cross-app mode with Marmoset cause I wanted to try it out.

G86W2Ny.jpg

One thing I didn't actually pick up on when setting up the calibration profile is that the Marmoset config's spits out a gloss map and not a roughness map. That I astill had to apply manually

Difference between gloss and roughess

VRm5AMD.jpg

Here's what I got after applying the roughness map.

NpkTtaF.png

Looks much better
  • samwoodart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samwoodart polycounter lvl 7
    Looking real cool man. Needs more paint chips. Never underestimate how much this sells metal/industrial objects.
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Totally agree with Sam.