Home Technical Talk

Number of character's Polygons for current gen video games

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
tekkoontan polycounter lvl 4
So i asked on a FB page before this, i was asking about how many polygons is the limit when one wants to model a character for current gen video games. someone gave me an answer of '40k tris'. im not sure if i can trust this though, (1) first of all, do people call it 'tris'? i thought most people just call it 'polygons'.

(2) i also think 40k is a bit too low for current gen games, so i went ahead and do more research, then i found on this site saying that characters uses more than 100k polygons. they dont call it 'tris' either, they just call it 'polygons'. by 'tris', it implies that it is triangular, by 'Polygons' it means something like 'quads'? what exactly is the name to call the polygons for video game models?
http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/20/the-order-1886-characters-have-over-100k-polygons-more-than-ryses-marius-but-less-blend-shapes/

(3) also, when they say 100k polygons, i dont know if they meant for the the pre-rendered cutscenes or during game play.

sorry for the long text and sorry for asking dumb question, i really want to understand 3D a bit more.

look forward for your replies, guys.