Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: Smart materials not working properly.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
uge_sl polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys,

I tried messeging teddybergsman about this with no response so i am hoping someone else whos smart can can help me out with this. Seems like a matter of a project setting or something simple i'm missing. Thanks in advance!

Problem: When i am using Gun metal black 01 smart material the resulted edge wear i get is bad. What i am getting is a thing edge wear almost not visible. Screen shot attached. (i can certainly play around with wear mask using curvature etc. but i am trying to figure out exactly the settings used for AK and how they got their result. seems like they are using defaults for smart material yet get a wayyy better result which is confusing.)

What i did to test this:

1. Download AK test scene from Quixel
2. use their imput maps (Normal, ID, AO, OS)
3. project settings are default, smart material setting are default.
4. use gun metal blacck 01 (same as their project) my results are garbage in comparison (screen attached). thus the cry for help :)

Second test:
1. Load their finished project
2. delete their black gun metal 01 (which looks good) and create a default in place - result is same. nice edge wear with lots variation (thing and thick where makes sense.)

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q546/eslautin/quixel_test.jpg

This leads me to believe that the difference is in the project set up. But i can't figure out what i am doing wrong with the set up since it's not like there are a lot of options. I am using their exact source. With defaults which i'd assume should work? Is dDo's edge wear effected by project size or some other global setting. if so which setting is it and where?
Would really appreciate help on this one!

thank you.

-Eugene

Replies

• Vipera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vipera polycounter lvl 2
    What output profile do you use? Some of the profiles (UE4) invert normal map Y coordinate. Make sure your normal map input is correct.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Eugene!

Try creating the project with quality curvature and see if that helps? if that is what you have been doing then try to uncheck it!
  • uge_sl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uge_sl polycounter lvl 6
    ok... So if i understand correctly, the Example file you guys supplied to demonstrate what ddo can do out of the box has custom curvature map you plugged which you didn't include in the source as part of the package? And is the key map to get the look you are showing off as an example? Cool! So i scavenged the forums after i posted this and found this link:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140462

He did a great job outlining what the issue is with dDo by default without custom curvature map. After reading through his findings i did my more tests with your AK example and found that i can basically match the looks if i run the normal map through Knald and create a curvature map that has a wide fall off with good range in it.

You guys should really fix the default setting for curvature map if one is not plugged in or at least let people know in your wiki that custom tuned curvature map is a must if you want good results.

Other than this annoyance, the software is great! looking forward to what you guys deliver with Madagascans!

Cheers!
  • Vipera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vipera polycounter lvl 2
    Why do you need a curvature map if you used the normal map from example? The curvature map generates automatically from the normal map.
  • uge_sl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uge_sl polycounter lvl 6
    Yep. that what the whole point. The results on the left with skinny wear that doesn't look good is what I got without custom curvature map, only using supplied normal maps. Thus the thread - how did they get the results they did? (cuz settings were set to default in their project and smart materials - i checked)
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will look in to this but thanks alot for the heads up! In the next release there will be an option to autobake curvature so it will have a standardized valur which means these problems should go away! Also means working with high poly is easy breazy!