Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hard Edges around Holes

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Utility polycounter lvl 7
Hey guise,

So I've got a shotgun model and it's got some crappy hard edges/artifacting around the shell ejection port. I thought it was pretty minor at first and that I could fix it with some highpoly baking, but that's not the case. I feel noobish for asking, but how would you approach fixing this? I feel like I probably don't have enough edge loops near the hole, but when I added a few (closer than the line I drew in my picture), it only helped slightly. In the corners and sides it looks the worst. Usually I'm good at fixing stuff like this, but it's my first time making holes in a hard surface that's also beveled. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

halppls.png

Replies

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Hm, are your Smoothing Groups going over 40-50° ?
    Cut your UV Shells and make the sides planar. Then add a new Smoothing Groups to UV Shells with TexTools.
    w9rrtn6jfpuc.png
    dlf5fop42bh.png
    Also select all Vertices in Mode 1 and then Press Weld with 0,1 .
    Maybe some Vertices are not welded.

Looks like youre doin millenias tutorial? :)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Inset the cut first then do a bevel that was you already have the supporting edge. Like gazu said add more loops leading up the the cut since the hole is probably not even with the stock

You should probably move this thread to technical talk
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Actually one loop can be enough if its not a chamfer, but a suportloops that is in plane with the surface around it. So if you would put a supportloop like in subd modeling, where you don't actually round the geo. This would completely fix the shading issue.

You can do this very simply, just cut a supportloops manually around the chamfer.
  • Utility
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone! I'll probably try everything starting with what Obscura said ('cause it sounds the easiest :P). Also Gazu, believe it or not I'm just using what I learned in another tutorial (for a Mac-10, I forget who made it) and have made this all with reference (Super Shorty if you're wondering what gun it is. It's like a cute lil' mini shotgun).
  • Utility
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And fixed! Thanks guys. My smoothing groups somehow got messed up but other than re-doing them, adding that extra loop helped.

*edit* Just in case you were wondering, the grip/butt of the shotgun is a different material than the rest of the body so I put it on a different smoothing group, which is why there's a visible edge there.

x1s3hQa3
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Glad to see it worked. Actually I'm experimenting with this "loop in plane with the neighbor faces" thing for a long while now, and it turns out as its the easiest and fastest way to control the lowpoly shading, and even can be better than a simple chamfer in some cases. Not to mention that, you can smooth in any way you want with this...I don't really understand why people don't use this more often.
  • Utility
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah! It was super simple, I can't believe I didn't think to do it after trying to chamfer it more and it remaining broken. Wooooo! I'll make a new thread when this puppy's out of the oven.