Home Adobe Substance

multple images on one texture sheet for scatter?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
I've started creating some multi-image textures (for example, a 4x4 set of 16 textures crammed into 1 UV set) to use in UE4 particle systems. I'd also like to use them in Substance Designer, maybe as input to a Scatter node.

For UE4 particle systems, this is pretty easy, using the SubUV feature.

Does SD support something like this? If so, how do I do it? If there is a somewhat complicated workaround, can someone point me in the right direction of what it might be (such as using fx maps)?

Jerc mentioned that they will probably add randomized images for Scatter nodes at some point. If this is in-progress or done, does it support texture crams, as opposed to having multiple inputs, each of which is a single texture?

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It's doable already but we don't have any pre-made node in SD that will get you there automatically just yet.

You would need to create a function in a transformation node to "zoom in" on one of the tiles in your texture and use 16 of them with different coordinates, pack this in a subgraph to make it all nice and easy to use.
    Then you would need to potentially modify the existing scatter noises to take multiple inputs instead of 1.

It's an advanced process but hopefully we'll bring some helper nodes in future releases to make this a lot easier.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    OK. Thanks for the information!