Home Technical Talk

Zbrush: How can I shorten the length of a curve?

I have been trying to figure out the nuance of the curve brushes in Zbrush, and I just need to figure out how to shorten the length of a curve. Increasing length is easy, as you only need to drag out from an ending of a curve, but I can't figure out the inverse.

Replies

• CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    CurveStep might be what you're looking for:

XSKCdCR.jpg

However, it really only controls the spacing of the curve's control points. So, in the end, you shorten the length of the curve by moving its vertices closer together. With InsertMesh Brushes this can lead to undesired results.
  • HyperThermal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CurveStep might be what you're looking for:

XSKCdCR.jpg

However, it really only controls the spacing of the curve's control points. So, in the end, you shorten the length of the curve by moving its vertices closer together. With InsertMesh Brushes this can lead to undesired results.

Thank you. What result do you think would happen if you lower the curve step, then raise it back?
  • hansolocambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hansolocambo polycounter lvl 8
    CurveStep indeed shortens or lengthens the curve after it's been created. Damn thanks for the tip. I thought it was just for the definition of the curve. To those who didn't know : If you change the size of your brush and tap the curve anywhere : you change the size. BUT to shorten it : change the CurveStep but click and move the end of the curve to validate the modification. Not that obvious.  Thanks Hyperthermal :smiley:
    Edit : This being said, I'm working on Ryan Kingslien Master Anatomy (ZBrushWorkshops / Module 4 / 02 - Male Basic Shape) and at around 05:53 in the video, while building the legs with CurveTube, he clearly shortens the tube on the fly and.. f*** I can't figure out HOW !
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Edit : This being said, I'm working on Ryan Kingslien Master Anatomy (ZBrushWorkshops / Module 4 / 02 - Male Basic Shape) and at around 05:53 in the video, while building the legs with CurveTube, he clearly shortens the tube on the fly and.. f*** I can't figure out HOW !
    I don't have access to that video so I'm not sure if this is what he is doing, but individual segments of a curve can be deleted. So you could switch to the zremesher guide brush, bisect your curve with a new one where ever you want to shorten it to (note: it should place a green vertex/point where the two curves intersect), and then alt+draw over the excess portions of the curve to remove them. You're now left with a shortened curve, and you can then switch back to your CurveTube/IMM/whatever brush to update it. 
  • hansolocambo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hansolocambo polycounter lvl 8
    Wow. I would have never thought about that. Damn ZBRush is very obscure sometimes. Thanks a LOT Cryrid for this trick. This is gonna help so much.
    INFO about DerRazputin 's trick, as he said, CurveStep shortens the curve but moves its vertices (rings) closer together, so it's not very useful if you work on low poly tubes or just try to control a bit your poly count. Extra riings can always be removed with the zmodeler brush but it's a lot of extra clicks ;)

Thanks all for the help on shortening ZBRush Curves. Using ZRemesher guide is the best option. 
  • turtlemaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For small edits, Turn on 'Elastic' mode and draw from the end of the curve. If you pull away it will add, if you push inward it will delete. You have to be precise to match the direction though, for a longer edit the zremesh guide option is great.