Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi Crater Scene

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
[kaz] polycounter lvl 9
So I'm still less than a year into Zbrush, thought I'd like to take a crack at some simple hard surface and throw my hand-painting background into it to see where it gets me. I'm making a scene meant to be used in a virtual world but I plan on expanding on it past that project and into UE4 later on.

Original sketch:
tumblr_nn2v0cm2na1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

The idea is that there is this huge, nearly-dead god-like creature fallen over out of a massive crater somewhere in space. A humanoid race has come and is attempting to resurrect (or harvest) it using green energy-blood. If it sounds a little abstract, it's meant to be. However, I realized the anatomy from my initial sketch didn't quite read as I wanted it to, so I've diverged from the original idea considerably as the project progressed. Here is my work on it in chronological order:

tumblr_nnx4nloPOl1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg
Crater lowpoly placed in the virtual world

tumblr_noso9iQ4tD1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_noso9iQ4tD1qdt0m6o2_1280.jpg
Centerpiece hipoly

tumblr_nowghsyaQj1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg
Centerpiece lowpoly with final textures

tumblr_npayhhK5KX1qdt0m6o2_1280.jpg
One of my modular stairs. They're connected to large pipes
tumblr_npayhhK5KX1qdt0m6o1_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_npkfgdMG8i1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg
Hipoly of one of my flooring segments

tumblr_npnvwgaHqK1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg
My lowpoly crates set on the previous floor segment with final textures. Wire mesh in all images is a 128x128 tiling texture, the X braces in the back are from the stairs.

SL12BWIP35_zpsw2fqjpc6.jpg
Zoomed out view of my new layout. I changed the centerpiece to sit on the floor with bracketed-on "wings" placed by the other humanoids (the dark platforms). Under this will be a mess of pipes running out under the other grey flooring.

tumblr_nprqtvqeym1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nprqtvqeym1qdt0m6o2_r1_1280.jpg
And here is where I am now. Lots of things still loosely blocked out. Lots of assets yet to build!

Any comments/crit quite welcome. Will continue to update this thread as I work.

Replies