Home Freelance Job Postings

3d artist and animtor needed (remote work)

We are a small indie team, we are developing a game and we have a bulk of 2d characters that need to render to 3d model and animated. (more than 200 characters). This is a paid job.
To 3d modeler, the style of game is semi-chibi, the quality is very simple, see the link:

http://i.imgur.com/rS8HxWU.jpg

An 3d artist will be needed asap. working in remote is fine.
The fixed budget is $30 for a final model with texture, the work is so many and it can be a long term work. This work is good for student or unprofessional 3d artist. Applicant must be fluent in english (enough to understand the description). Please dont apply if your rate is not match.

An 3d animator is needed for simple animation around 4 seconds, the model just need 2 poses: breath and little action. Example here, from 0:12 to 0:20, look at those model, they just stay and have a little action. Budget is $15 per animated character.
https://youtu.be/Wff2rLuZJRE?t=12

if interested please send me your best 5 works and the estimate of time per finished model. the application without the information will be ignored.

Thanks.

Apply at max [at] maxmuses <dot> com

Replies

• agk3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agk3d polycounter lvl 7
    $15 per animated character?! I might as well work for you for free
  • cardinal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cardinal polycounter lvl 12
    yea your rates are pathetic $30 for at least 4 hours work ? rip of merchants :(
  • theANMATOR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theANMATOR polycounter lvl 6
    Have to agree with agk3d and cardinal about your rates.
    You are basically asking a modeler to do several hours (4-6) of medium quality work - but are only compensating them for 1 hour of work.
    Likewise with the animator - at least 2 hours of work to rig - skin and animate the simple cycles you want.
    And your only offering to compensate the animator for 1/2 an hour of his work.

Your setting yourself up for failure. Either youll get some terrible art or the artists will eventually skip out for not receiving adequate compensation for the work they do.
  • agk3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agk3d polycounter lvl 7
    theANMATOR wrote: »
    Have to agree with agk3d and cardinal about your rates.
    You are basically asking a modeler to do several hours (4-6) of medium quality work - but are only compensating them for 1 hour of work.
    Likewise with the animator - at least 2 hours of work to rig - skin and animate the simple cycles you want.
    And your only offering to compensate the animator for 1/2 an hour of his work.

Your setting yourself up for failure. Either youll get some terrible art or the artists will eventually skip out for not receiving adequate compensation for the work they do.

I wouldn't be too concerned about this team, they'll definitely find someone who will do the work, either cheap or free. I'm more concerned about how they are indirectly destroying the indie and games industry. By offering close to nothing they are effectively lowering the value of artist. Blame can also be placed on artist who will work for this amount, shame on! you're ruining it for the rest of us!!!!
  • DMRadford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DMRadford polycounter lvl 9
    Alright guys, while I completely agree with all the responses so far, please do a little research before ragging on the guy so we can help him out. According to his website, they're based in Vietnam where the average wage for a Graphic Design artist is only ~$4 USD. Now that being said (and US going rate aside), 7.5 hours to model and texture one of those characters is a pretty tall order. 3 hours to rig and animate is nearly impossible if you want any level of quality. Based on the samples provided: it should take 3-6 hours for modeling, 4-8 hours for texturing, 1.5-2 hours for basic rigging and 1-2 hours per animation cycle. So based on Vietnam rates, he's technically paying fair, ish...

Maxmuses: From what I can tell, the international standard going-rate for modeling and animation ranges from $15-$50+/hr depending on the experience of the artist (Experienced artists also work much faster so the net cost should be roughly the same). The absolute minimum you should expect to pay for the quality in the sample you provided would be $250 for modeling and texturing and $150 for basic rigging and 2 animation cycles.

If you're able to reconsider your rates, please contact me as I would be interested in doing the rigging and animation.

-David Radford

PS.
    akg3d, I agree
  • agk3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agk3d polycounter lvl 7
    thanks for that DM.

I feel like, if you're going to offer employment opportunities on an international website or forum be prepared to pay the usual international rate.

That being said, there are other incentives to making sure people are compensated fairly. Some indie teams offer shared royalty or point systems, rewarding people for their invested effort in the project.
  • theANMATOR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theANMATOR polycounter lvl 6
    Hey DM - agree with you 100%. I was being super generous to the contract offerer with the hours I used.
    Your estimates are truely spot on.
    No ill will towards anybody here. Just want art to be respected as much as other professional game dev tasks.
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
    That was a good read David, cheers for that link!
  • Lokkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokkee polycounter lvl 3
    That is indeed good reading and a healthy work ethic for this industry!
    Thanks DMRadford !
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    ... Why bashing on the guy from Vietnam offering to pay while there are so many Rev-Share projects around ? He also said it's for students and like. If you're too good for low pay, move along.. I hope you don't walk into CostCo and demand to be paid $50/hr doing cashier's work.
  • willehrendreich
    Actually pyrzern,

The thing is, this ISN'T cashier work. Honestly, there are many on here who have honed the craft over many years and many hard times. Also, most who are working freelance charge higher fees because they don't have benefits, they have to pay in to taxes at the end of the year, have to set aside for dry periods, medical bills, hardware failure, etc.

To compare what we do to cashier's work is just not accurate. No one should have to work for that low if they are at all competent at this. It devalues themselves, and the industry.

I hope they do find someone to work for them, but on this forum, the caliber of most of the people's work and the locations most of them live in require a much higher rate to stay within livable means.

Somewhere really underdeveloped perhaps, where that money is actually very livable.

Anyway, I just thought I should weigh in here.

Have a wonderful day!

Will.
  • agk3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agk3d polycounter lvl 7
    PyrZern wrote: »
    ... Why bashing on the guy from Vietnam offering to pay while there are so many Rev-Share projects around ? He also said it's for students and like. If you're too good for low pay, move along.. I hope you don't walk into CostCo and demand to be paid $50/hr doing cashier's work.

seriously PyrZern, you must be new at this. No one cares if this company or team comes from Vietnam, as I stated before. If you're placing a job posting on an international forum, expect to pay international rates. Please explain to me the logic in this.

Maya subscription will cost an animator/artist - $1470 Annual Subscription
    $460 monthly. Let's also not forget electricity and rent for office or workspace.

Now... knowing all this please explain to me with your infinite wisdom, how on earth someone will pay for all this costs with a budget of '$15 per animated character.'

" I hope you don't walk into CostCo and demand to be paid $50/hr doing cashier's work. "

What a very relevant example to compare to, I'm sure cashiers are well trained bachelor degree holders that paid $30,000 College fees to work at Costco.
  • Lokkee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokkee polycounter lvl 3
    This is mainly an issue of finding the right work resource.
    But Maxmuses is offering a paid job.
    No matter what anyone think, it is "paid" job. Period.

There may be people may be willing to work for such fee.
    Most freelancers will find aggravating to be even asked to consider lowering their wages to such level, and it has been explained to Maxmuses why in a crystal clear manner.

There are market reality and quality expectations that will rebalance actors willing to make a stay in the industry without the need to start a flame war on such matter.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Closing this thread. If you wish to discuss this further, make a thread in General Discussion.
This discussion has been closed.