Home General Discussion

MONSTER SUMMER SALE - Indie Products Included

Hey Everyone,

We've got great news, we're taking part in the MONSTER SUMMER Steam SALE!!!

8br5S9e.jpg

Here's the skinny on the price drops:

Perpetual Licenses:
MARI indie - 40% off
MODO indie - 40% off
MARI indie + MODO indie Bundle - 40% off

Subscriptions:
MARI indie 3 month - 25% off
MODO indie 3 month - 25% off
MARI indie + MODO indie Bundle 3 month - 25% off

MARI indie 6 month - 25% off
MODO indie 6 month - 25% off
MARI indie + MODO indie Bundle 6 month - 25% off

The sale is on now and will commence at 10am Pacific on June 21st

MODO Indie:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/321540

MARI Indie:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/289550

Lets go create something together!

PS- More memes to come...

Sincerely,
BladeEvolence
MODO/MARI Indie Advocate

Replies

• Grims
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grims polycounter lvl 5
    Nice hair Blade!
  • BladeEvolence
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, thankfully my hair isn't that grey. Brown mostly. 8P
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Got some Modo questions.

Is Modo Indie going to get the Modo 901 feature set? How much is it going to be to upgrade? Any ETA?

Since Modo Indie doesn't have 901 yet, it doesn't support baking Mikktspace normal map, how am I supposed to get around the 100k export limit to bake a high poly model in an application that supports the normal map tangent I need for a synced workflow?

Are you guys going to be improving the vertex normal editing? I've heard you basically need Farfarer's toolkit to have any real control over vertex normals, and as a game artist, that's an important part of my workflow. Are there going to be improvements to that with with Modo 901? Kinda sucks we can't use plug-ins to fill in the missing features for game artist in Modo.

Is Modo indie getting MeshFusion?
  • asyrvachev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    asyrvachev polycounter lvl 8
    I second ZacD's question. Modo 901 has some exciting features and I will happily buy Modo Indie if it gets Modo 901 features eventually.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    ZacD wrote: »
    Got some Modo questions.
    Since Modo Indie doesn't have 901 yet, it doesn't support baking Mikktspace normal map, how am I supposed to get around the 100k export limit to bake a high poly model in an application that supports the normal map tangent I need for a synced workflow?

You could always break the high poly mesh into a few chunks, and export them separately, right? I mean, that sucks, but it's one of the limits of the indie version, so that may be the only way to export a very high poly out, and bring it into xNormal.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    ZacD, before 901 the usual approach for game artist was to bake out an object space normal map inside of modo and then covert the normal map in something like xnormal.

xnormal> set config/plugin manager to pump out mikkt > import low poly + object space nm, click convert.

Couple extra steps but it works well enough with Modo versions below 901 and Indie has no trouble with it. No need to worry about poly limit.

As for Indie itself getting an upgrade, the best guess is that we probably wont know the details until 901 gets around the service pack 2 area, they may try to keep indie on an annual update cycle like Modo proper. Brandon/Blade will grace us with such sacred knowledge once its available I'm sure. =)

For vertex normal editting without farfarer's plugin, there are a couple of techniques that can be used... not nearly as easy as what he has though. I know they want to include it at some point or something similar.

Also there is this manual approach, which should be in Indie if you want to check it out, I havent tried it myself yet personally. http://modo.docs.thefoundry.co.uk/modo/801/help/pages/modotoolbox/Vmaps/TransformNormals.html
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I really want to try modo, does modo indie have all of the 901 features or will it be a free update ? I cannot find any compare version anywhere
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I really want to try modo, does modo indie have all of the 901 features or will it be a free update ? I cannot find any compare version anywhere

Indie is based off 801 (modo) and I think Mari 2.5 its about half a year old. Doubt they will upgrade it to the latest versions until after a few service packs hit the non indie version of Modo.

Update will also probably have a cost associated with it, but it cant be by much. Only time will tell though.

You can try grabbing a one month sub of it or try the demo, and then decide if you want to jump on this steam sale. Its going until the 21st so you have some time. Its well worth it even if you just use it for the rendering & baking, retopo, painting and or UV editing.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I mainly use 3ds max for hard surface but after seeing so many modo video's i cannot help but somehow thinking modo is more intuitive at least to me. People model how i feel it should be cutting shapes out and such