Home Adobe Substance

Looking for Substance Painter/Designer Tutorials

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Dethling polycounter lvl 11
Hi,

as I'm relativly new to substance painter & designer I'm looking for some tutorials which helps me to improve my skills further.
I already watched the tutorials from Allegorithmic, but want to go further. :)
I'm especially looking for some help with believable metal substances (e.g. for guns) and plasitc substances.

Does anyone knows some good tutorials for this?

Replies

• Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    To add to this, are tutorials for say 4.6 and up still 100% relevant? As far as the general process?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, 4.x tutorials are still relevant.
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    Ive been using Substance for just over a month now so I think I can help out here having been in a similar position not too long ago.

Metals were one of the first things I learned because as far as materials go they are very straightforward. All those tutorials you watched? Watch them again. Memorize them. They are all you really need until you want to start making more complicated textures like tree bark (which i'm still trying to figure out).

Once you have those basics down you'll be able to look at materials like a gun metal and know exactly which nodes you need to make it. Substance is a lot like Photoshop, most of the nodes have the same names. Approach it like you would normally approach a texture in photoshop. Build them up one step at a time. Solid colour, add some light clouds, maybe a few scratches and dents etc.You know how to do all that stuff individually, so now put it all together and you have metal. It's a lot less complicated that way and you'll be surprised what you can achieve without a tutorial. All you need are the basics that these videos on youtube cover.

The more nodes you know, the more control you're going to have over your textures so learn as many nodes as you can. THAT's what I think is the most important. Knowing them and what they do. If you haven't already, check out this video series on youtube that helped me a lot. "The 9 nodes of Christmas"

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8qRS5SiufU&list=PLVckJL-SyC5gXFphH2QohvU5KM20chVHw[/ame]

Good luck!
  • xtrm3d