Home Quixel Megascans

Quixel to Maya?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Ladygrace polycounter lvl 5
Is someone able to explain if it is viable to import the textures created in the Quixel suite into Maya?
And if so is there any chance you can write a small guide on what export should be used and how to add them correctly in maya possibly?
The reason i am asking is i am doing a school project i am wanting to create a small animation and would like to know if it is possible :)

Thanks in advance

Replies

• oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo polycounter lvl 10
    Hi Ladygrace,

yes it's totally possible.
    It does depend though on what renderer you're using though regarding what maps you need to export and how they need to be balanced.

I've done many tests setting up the suite as generic pbr and exporting spec, normal, height, albedo, gloss for use in Solidangle's Arnold. I have to invert the gloss map to give arnold the 'roughness' map it wants, and my materials are not looking matched to DDO, but I haven't figured out the balancing thing.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi dudes! (or ladies)

It is absolutely possible! We´ve done several renders with V-ray. We´ve used "Uncalibrated" preset for the work since the V-ray profile is not yet available (hopefully next release).

What we have discovered is that you might need a bit more PUNCH to get the same results, but it´s usually possible to tweak in V-ray as well. You gotta find the balance that workds for you!
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Eric,

Tested anythign in Arnold to give suggestions on what (if anything) needs to be punched to match? Apologies if you have no arnold tests to speak of.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually we´re doing some Arnold-tests right now, I can check with that artist and gett back to you!
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    superb! any suggestions welcome.
    thank you Mr Ramberg.
  • Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for the reply. I guess i might wait till the new Update is out to try again as i am not exactly the best and working with Mayas textures and correct placements of the files to load
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No i dont think you have to wait! I can write down a specific list for you as soon as i get bak to my computer on monday!
  • Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No i dont think you have to wait! I can write down a specific list for you as soon as i get bak to my computer on monday!

Thank you that would be great :).
    Think you can explain what slots they go into when importing them into maya if you dont mind?

Thank you again
  • Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi Eric, have you been able to find out the List for maya?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I´ve asked for a screenshot of the maya shader tree, should be coming soon!
  • Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I´ve asked for a screenshot of the maya shader tree, should be coming soon!

Sorry for asking again, But my project needs to be rendered in 4 days to hand in :( and i am clueless now.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The artist in charge for the "Mini guide" is on Midsummer leave, (holiday in Sweden) but I have some of his notes, unfortunately this is all I have at the moment:

Albedo —> diffuse, specular color —> specular color, Gloss —>Glossy (but only the red channel since it only accepts one value. Normal —> bump map (There is a setting if you want to use it as normal map instead). Displacement —> shading group, there is no slot to connect the displacement in the shader i maya, but each shader connects to a shading group, there you can make overrides and such, in that there is an input for displacement textures.

Hope this helps some!
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Ladygrace,

I really encourage you to specify which of maya's renderers you're using.
    is it maya software, maya vector, mental ray, i ray, arnold, vray or renderman?

The answer from Eric will vary greatly depending on which one you're using, what works for one won't work for others. Eric, were you quoting arnold there ? Correct me if i'm wrong, but arnold don't have glossy, but it's mirror oppositel, roughness
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry! This is V-ray.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AS i said we´re doing miniguides for this with explanations and pictures from the shaders in each program, Its not me doing it though that´s why I can´t give any more information at this point.
  • Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The artist in charge for the "Mini guide" is on Midsummer leave, (holiday in Sweden) but I have some of his notes, unfortunately this is all I have at the moment:

Albedo —> diffuse, specular color —> specular color, Gloss —>Glossy (but only the red channel since it only accepts one value. Normal —> bump map (There is a setting if you want to use it as normal map instead). Displacement —> shading group, there is no slot to connect the displacement in the shader i maya, but each shader connects to a shading group, there you can make overrides and such, in that there is an input for displacement textures.

Hope this helps some!

Argh this is very confusing without visuals :(, i tried the dx11 shader it works ok but i cant get the results like in 3do. Is there any chance you can supply some screens shots of the slots used for the V-Ray Settings?

Thanks again :)
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really sorry but I´m not the one who did the renders, I don´t have any of that material on this machine unfortunately.
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ladygrace, perhaps post up some images of what you have and see if anyone can guide you on what's gone funky.

No one's going to be able to help you make an image unless you can articulate what you're doing and what you're working with. You should supply your own screenshots.

Can you tell me what's anatomically wrong about the biped in my sketchbook? or post up a guide on how to to get it correct? Hope you can see the point i'm making.
  • Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me i am still learning about shaders in maya and that so i am lost where to start which makes everything harder to do. I learned that 2016 maya has PBR shader in it. I tried to add the PBR shader for the other maya but i cant find out how to add it to maya at all.
    My knowledge with this kinda stuff is limited as i cant learn from reading.

I am not sure how to add the gloss to it.

Quixel
    MFaJWup.png

maya Dx11 Shader
    Sd4BNgr.jpg
  • Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo wrote: »
    Ladygrace, perhaps post up some images of what you have and see if anyone can guide you on what's gone funky.

No one's going to be able to help you make an image unless you can articulate what you're doing and what you're working with. You should supply your own screenshots.

Can you tell me what's anatomically wrong about the biped in my sketchbook? or post up a guide on how to to get it correct? Hope you can see the point i'm making.

I was wondering, i was looking at buying Marmoset Toolbag 2. Would this help me better instead since it is 30% off atm
  • oskarkeo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toolbag's great and works very well with the quixel suite.

looking at your image, you'll neeed to post your shader settings and input textures too,. and explain the lighting setup. i've not played with the maya shaders you're using, so don't know offhand what input options you have.

if you can't find gloss, look for a specular roughness input, roughness is the opposite of glossiness.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say that Toolbag is a lot easier to learn than V-ray, but it still requires skill and knowledge to produce good results. But i think you will have a much easier time to get help using DDO and Toolbag, which is good!