Home General Discussion

Steam Refunds

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    6 months is too much, IMO. Companies have already collected and likely spent that revenue. This will hurt. They should do a month, at best.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you draw the line between:

"I liked the game enough to beat it in under two hours."

and

"The game was so short i beat it in under two hours."

I think that's the wrong question. It's more, "Do I feel like this game was worth the money I spent on it?" If it is, the length doesn't matter. It's a personal value judgement.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    The refund window only goes back 6 months. It could be shorter I guess, but then this is the first time they've offered it.

I guess I don't understand the wisdom behind offering an extended refund window at all. A refund policy is a good thing but just make it apply moving forward and don't burden developers with backdated lost revenue.

Example- A small developer sells 500 units a month at $10. The refund policy is put into effect and there is a 5% refund rate backdated 6 months. Without warning the developer is burdened with a month with $1500/30% less income. That is someones mortgage payment. They could have at least spread the damage out over another 6 month window to soften the blow.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I think that's the wrong question. It's more, "Do I feel like this game was worth the money I spent on it?" If it is, the length doesn't matter. It's a personal value judgement.

Yeah that's probably a more accurate question, do i feel it was worth the money even though it was so short?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    I guess I don't understand the wisdom behind offering an extended refund window at all. A refund policy is a good thing but just make it apply moving forward and don't burden developers with backdated lost revenue.

Example- A small developer sells 500 units a month at $10. The refund policy is put into effect and there is a 5% refund rate backdated 6 months. Without warning the developer is burdened with a month with $1500/30% less income. That is someones mortgage payment. They could have at least spread the damage out over another 6 month window to soften the blow.

they cant ask for a refund after 14 days, so this example doesnt really work
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    slipsius wrote: »
    they cant ask for a refund after 14 days, so this example doesnt really work

The problem is that they can right now as valve is allowing for 6 month old purchases to be refunded. Only new purchases are on the 14 day window.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Oh, wow.. Ya, that's an odd decision.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    I support this a 110%. I am really proud that refunds finally got implemented. Not sure how Valve is seeing 2 hours window very viable though for playtime after purchase. This should've been set to a 72 hour period from ones purchase. If not that, then simply make any game refundable, or trade able like consoles for an infinite time period.

Strongly I see this inducing a level of higher integrity and accountability to shady developers who aren't producing anything but quality crap.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure how Valve is seeing 2 hours window very viable though for playtime after purchase. This should've been set to a 72 hour period from ones purchase. If not that, then simply make any game refundable, or trade able like consoles for an infinite time period.
    You can't do that tho. If I pick up 5 games during a sale, I won't even get to look at 4 of them before the 72 hours would be up.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    (Skimmed the thread)

What caused this shift in behaviour? Is this so long arched plan from valve or was it brought to life on the coattails of the Paid for Dlc disaster?

Would like to know the original motivation for the flip on policy. I've only ever needed one game refunded and it was Dust, the single player god game that they tacked always online DRM too, despite claims of drm freedom. They were tight fisted about it, claiming i had to go to Ubisoft and get a refund through them. Blah blah blah, i got a begrudged refund, with the not so subtle threat of a vac ban if it occurred again.

So why the sudden(?) change?
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    (Skimmed the thread)

What caused this shift in behaviour? Is this so long arched plan from valve or was it brought to life on the coattails of the Paid for Dlc disaster?

Would like to know the original motivation for the flip on policy. I've only ever needed one game refunded and it was Dust, the single player god game that they tacked always online DRM too, despite claims of drm freedom. They were tight fisted about it, claiming i had to go to Ubisoft and get a refund through them. Blah blah blah, i got a begrudged refund, with the not so subtle threat of a vac ban if it occurred again.

So why the sudden(?) change?

As far as I'm aware this has nothing to do with goodwill and more with European Union's law that mandates that all items bought online must be refundable for 14 days from the date of purchase.

What is weird, is that just a couple of months ago, Valve specifically went against that law:
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/valve-restricts-14-day-eu-refund-law/1100-6425990/

Makes we wonder what made them do such a 180 in such a short time.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Makes we wonder what made them do such a 180 in such a short time.

The fact that the EU has the power to shut Valve down inside Europe lol.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    The fact that the EU has the power to shut Valve down inside Europe lol.

Well, that was kind of a rhetorical question :) I'm wondering if them making people waive their rights somehow put them on the map of whoever is in charge of dealing with that stuff. After all Sony's refund policy isn't that great either and it disallows any refunds of digital purchases (apart from some subscriptions).
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Valve were given an ultimatum quite some time ago, I suspect that time limit on that ran out and they had to conform to EU law.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    Oh, wow.. Ya, that's an odd decision.

Naa, it makes perfect sense to apply it retroactively. Here's an example, a couple months ago, my wife bought Fallout 3 (the 2008 one). It would not run *at all* on her Win 8 machine. After looking at various sites, this was a known issue, essentially Bethesda was selling a game they knew would not run on a current windows operating system. Wanted to return it, but couldn't. It was only $10 but so not a big deal, but still really annoying.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Is there a limit on how many returns you can do? Haven't read anything about that, but seems kind of common sense. If you're returning 5 games a month, etc.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Another possible factor is the australian consumer board sued valve over lack of refunds last year.

www.addisonslawyers.com.au/knowledge/ACCC_Steamed_Up_over_Refund_Policies_and_Consumer_Guarantees702.aspx
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    haha the big companies whine about pirating and then ignores the law for about 10 years. whos the criminal now, fuckers?
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    Is there a limit on how many returns you can do? Haven't read anything about that, but seems kind of common sense. If you're returning 5 games a month, etc.

Yeah there is but they haven't made it public, but said they will take away the refund option from people who are abusing it.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    I feel like if they were any more transparent as to what factors into them identifying abuse then it would just make it that much easier for people to abuse it. People would know somewhat exactly what they are looking for and take more strategic precautions to avoid getting caught and end up making "better abusers" by releasing that kind of info.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Gonna bump this since steam seems to now show the developers the reasons that their games are getting refunded.
    https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/609481363146862593
    CHVP-n9UwAA46ET.png