Home Dota 2

Size problem from 3ds max - Wards

triangle
Offline / Send Message
PrivacyEnt triangle
f-lelov557745a600192202.png

Hello everybody!
After a rough deadlock on the introduction to doto workshop, i decided to build a ward. I use 3ds max as my main modelling program.
So the question is this;
- I have modelled a ward, reseted the x-form of it, then made a skeleton and skin it to the model in 3ds max.
- I exported as .fbx and re-open it in maya to see what was going on. Then recognized that the rotation was not 0,0,0 (0,0,-90 in fact) and scale was not 1,1,1 (100,100,100 in fact) even if I used the "Reset X-Form" on 3ds max.
- So I freezed the rotation, scale on maya and exported again.
- Next stop, let's see how is it in-game(there were no animations yet so I put the same file to animation requirements)
Import was succesful but model was extremely small. It was possible to see it in 4-5 pixels wide when zoomed, it was like a very tiny yellow rectangle.
Could anybody help how to fix this problem ? :)
Is this scale problem caused by 3ds max ?
Regards, privacy.

Replies

• PeterBread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a similar problem with scaling. It ended up being that i had imported in the wrong units (inches not centimeters). Try scaling it up by 2.54, reseting the transforms and re-importing.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Well Max is Z up and Maya is Y up (hence the -90 rotation in maya)

Are you sure you have the correct scale in Max? You should probable see a grid under your ward if so, All I see is 2 lines of that grid which indicate he is very small to start with.

I have never had luck with xforms actually working.
    Manual always works:

*delete skin mod

*Create a new cube (box). This one has correct scale and rotation.
    *With that cube selected add an edit poly modifier.
    *still selected choose 'Attach' then click on your ward.
    (this makes the ward inherit the proper properties from the cube)
    *select all polys of the cube and delete (so only ward is left)
    *Now adjust pivot (pivot only)(align to world, center to object)

Xforms are now reset. Skin and try again.

if it's still small you need to resize it, then repeat above steps)

regular donkey at correct size compared to grid:
    donkey.jpg
  • PrivacyEnt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PrivacyEnt triangle
    Thanks for the tip :)
    Also shame on me that didn't do any research about this and suddenly create a topic :poly136:

f-asdasdasd557800a7001922ea.png

Anyway after this, I immedietely download the ward model and the courier model again from the site, and yes, the courier's size is comparable to the grid but the ward from the doto site have the similar size with mine. (EDIT: 3DS Max unit scale was meters.) Also, i ripped other wards from the game and as an .smd (echo bat ward to be precise :D ) and it had the same size too... Strange... after I come back home today, I will try to match the wards scale to the courier model and will inform you guys here ^^
    But this is a pretty nice coincide to recognize the size of the demo ward just before the monthly competition about wards :D
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your importing size is wrong...

I have 'units set up' as Generic and 'system unit setup' as 1 unit = 1 inch.

The donkey is imported with wallworm, I believe it was from the dota webpage.
  • PrivacyEnt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PrivacyEnt triangle
    So here is an update:
    I don't know why, but if I open the .smd from the doto website, the wards size is now like your mention, it is comparable to the grid. around 140 generic units in height. So I scale up my model to match it and reset its x-form and attach it to a new created object and delete that temporary object.(to reset xform also manually) but then this happenned.
    f-asdasdas55788abe0019240f.png
    GIANT MEGA ULTRA GIRAFFE WILL SEE EVERYTHING :poly142:
    So i found a not-so-great idea, let's scale it randomly in the middle of these two models !
    aannd...
    f-sdasdazz55788eaf00192416.png
    I still couldn't figure it where my mistake is at :|

EDIT: The size of the giraffe on latest screenshot was 60units and it is roughly half the height of an original ward. Therefore, an original wards height is 130 units roughly and the previous "large" model was correct. But it didn't show in the correct size on the game. I'm curious about what is going on here...
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try exporting as fbx, with scale factor 'automatic'
    I didn't think about this before but you should try skinning it to one new root bone just to test, don't want to rescale bones.
  • PrivacyEnt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PrivacyEnt triangle
    Hello again!
    f-zazazazaza5579864f0019256b.png

the thing i do differently this time is, when I export from 3ds max to maya, the scales were 100,100,100, so whn I manually set them back to 1,1,1, voila.
    and +1 on the single bone, it makes test exports so much faster ^^
    Still got no idea why it did work, or why it didn't before. In trackmania, importing was so easy that I didn't even notice that scale could change on import/export. anyway thanks for the help :)