Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

rox's noobie portfolio (early WIP)

xxroxx
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
xxroxx polycounter lvl 3
22/10

Alright, so I've put that concept aside and (today) started sculpting this girl.

Here it is so far:

4I79y35.png

I need advice before moving on another subdivision level. Also, ignore her lips, they're screwed up because mesh density. Any tips/comments on proportions, likeness, etc?

10/10

Got some concept art for the cartoon char going on. Not really loving it, but it must suffice. :poly127:

http://i.imgur.com/4dtNjIZ.png

09/06

Crap, is it june already? Ugh, guess it's been for awhile now. Well, it means it's time to play CS and browse reddit less and start working on my artistic abilities.

Right now I only have Blender and Photoshop to work with, so all you will be seeing - that is, until I buy the quixel suite, substance designer and marmorset on july - are untextured models, sculpts and some 2d concept art.

The plan is to use my vacation time in July to produce at least these four: a human sculpt (not sure if only highpoly or what), a toon-like character, a prop (sword or axe, perhaps something more intersting from the hardsurface pov, like a gun) and a scene, a simple one that looks cool.

The ideia is for those to be quick, '1 week' projects that I can learn from and assemble a portfolio with. Now bear in mind some modelling and sculpting will be done before that and july will be spent mostly texturing and lighting for presentation.

Please, feel free to give any critic and advice as that's what I'm here for and forgive me if I do anything wrong forum-wise (I'm new here and english is not my first language).

I'll be updating this with concept art soon.

Thanks for your time!

Replies

• AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    In case you are planning to use your own concept art for modelling or sculpting I would advise against it.
    Unless you are very good at concept art you will be transfering the mistakes of it to the 3d version, and will learn less than you could if you used professional concepts.
    Also the 1 week intervals seem a bit short to me but you could make it work to a level.

Good luck with this and have fun, hope to see more soon! :)
  • xxroxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xxroxx polycounter lvl 3
    Firith wrote: »
    In case you are planning to use your own concept art for modelling or sculpting I would advise against it.
    Unless you are very good at concept art you will be transfering the mistakes of it to the 3d version, and will learn less than you could if you used professional concepts.
    Also the 1 week intervals seem a bit short to me but you could make it work to a level.

Good luck with this and have fun, hope to see more soon! :)

Yeah, I've been considering this myself as I am no great concept artist... However something I've also put in consideration is sketching in PS and finishing the concept in zBrush. If you have a good concept art source, however, please let me know! Perhaps I can work from it!
    Also, if I find art I like, is it common practice to ask the author before modelling for my portfolio or it's ok to just go with it?

Thanks!
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    I just browse artstation and pinterest a lot and keep the concepts I like, I think it's a good tactic to have inspiration or reference when you want it.
    For asking it probably isn't necessary, personally I've asked almost every time I started something but got no answer, even from not so achieved artists, so feel free to ask but don't wait on it, is my opinion.
  • xxroxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xxroxx polycounter lvl 3
    Alright, so I've put that concept aside and (today) started sculpting this girl.

Here it is so far:

4I79y35.png

I need advice before moving on another subdivision level. Also, ignore her lips, they're screwed up because mesh density. Any tips/comments on proportions, likeness, etc?
  • xxroxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xxroxx polycounter lvl 3
    So, a couple weeks later and here I am :)

I've got gifted the Allegorithmics Suite and been trying to replicate a table I've seen in a pizzeria in Substance Designer. Here is where I'm at (central woodpiece missing)

substance
    substance_zpssrmnhy1t.png~original

reference
    dXsj8aU.jpg