Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character - Lilith

Dante_mL
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Dante_mL polycounter lvl 6
Hello everyone!

I'm making a character I've been designing for quite a while. Recently I got a much more solid base for my character (written design wise) and of course a 2D painting of her. So now I started working on her sculpt, I'm aiming for a character where I could potentially use in multiple scenarios (naked, partially clothed, casual, formal, royal, armor attire, etc.). I'll be designing other clothes as I go, no rush for this project.

So I'd like to ask for help during her creation.

Cheers.

tx40yXEl.jpg

23AB6T7.jpg

g7aMs48l.jpg

Replies

• Legion_studios
    Offline / Send Message
    Legion_studios polycounter lvl 2
    i dont know why but when i read the title i was expecting this

62f53464282142c4f2b4c5fec0012c0c.jpg
  • DeviatePanda
    Offline / Send Message
    DeviatePanda polycounter lvl 5
    @Legion_studios: Yeah, I thought the same thing honestly.

On topic, the concept is interesting and you seem to be off to a good start. Do you have any other concept art or information for this character you'd be willing to share with us? Can't wait to see more.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Really great start!
    The figure is manly atm. Its a guy with breasts. The figure has no hips and the face is not very female. The face is clean in a generic kind of way but is lacking female appeal. You want to have a look at female fitness models if that is the road you want to take, while they can be ripped the overall silhouette is still feminine. I like the length of the legs for a super hero but I think the arms might be a bit long and they are also male like in musculature. Women also have thigh mass I miss here.

You obviously have a good idea of where everything all goes, you just have to bang it into position.
  • Dante_mL
    Offline / Send Message
    @Legion Damn, should've chose something better for the thread name.

@Panda At this point I shouldn't really share much, at least up until I have progressed here a bit. Have some other concepts of her from awhile back, but The design is much different. Had mainly plate armor with this bat/dragon wing looking skirt. I've changes because I had a better idea of what would work for her abilities. If you want to check ones I did, here's the link to the gallery. She has abnormal strength compared to regular people, that's why she's packing a 3.2 meter spear.

I wasn't just working on the character, I was trying to at least write the basic premise of the world or two. Got multiple ideas I want to explore over time. So I guess as I work here, I'll just drop more info as I go. I'll be designing the looks as I go also.

@kanga Thanks for the input mate, really useful. I'll get right to work, aiming for something between a female weight lifter and a boxer, basically both muscle definition and has some mass. The arms end somewhere around mid thighs, if i remember that's the body average. Time to get some better research done.
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Lol, the name Lilith isn't strictly from Borderlands. It traces wayy back to mythology.

Anyways you seem to have a good start on the concept and sculpt. For the face I recommend using more references of a person that has the face shape you are looking for.

Concept-wise since you are doing it on the go, be sure to sketch it down first on drawing to get a better feel of things. And yes some character lore will help us understand her better!

Keep it up!
  • Dante_mL
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, update time.

u8tHvF7.jpg

Ckwh2dul.jpg

5iejMib.jpg

Past week didn't have much, so the update is more about correcting the shape and some anatomy.

Still could use an improvement in some parts. Got some references here and there. Partial influence was from Charlene Wittstock, I also revamped the jaw design made it more visible, realistic. Would appreciate more tips there.

Also did some sketches of casual clothing, nothing decided yet, but looking something simple, comfortable to wear and having this slight fashion sense.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I disagree with the assertion that the first version looked too "manly", completely and absolutely I find this statement to be untrue. Sorry, Kanga. "This is too manly, looks like a dude with breasts" is always a terrible way to put it, as there's always an underlying reason (which would be better to state on its own), and where the line is crossed between femme/masc is almost entirely subjective. There's a wide variety of female shapes that aren't photoshopped into existance, and I was quite refreshed to see a different take when I had a look into this thread... And FYI, it read as a feminine female immediately for me.

I liked the first version a bit better, it felt more natural and comfortable, this newer version feels a bit stiff, and trunklike at that. The forms of the first one were very appealing and read well, this seems a bit more haphazard.
    On that, the upper arms could stand to be a little less lithe, filled in/smoothed out just a tad more, as females tend to accumulate more fat in their upper arms, which would fill it out so the muscle isn't so harshly defined. The back muscles also don't appear to overlap naturally, more they seem to be drawn in... I'd also recommend smoothing them out a little bit. In the future, make sure to use a lot of reference for the back!

I'm personally advocating for a rollback, but of course it's entirely up to you. Just my 2 cents.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    BagelHero wrote: »
    I disagree with the assertion that the first version looked too "manly", completely and absolutely I find this statement to be untrue. Sorry, Kanga. "This is too manly, looks like a dude with breasts" is always a terrible way to put it,
    It looks like a guy with breasts is what I said. That was probably too rough but it is what I thought at the time. I beg to disagree with your disagreement though. There would be no point in studying anatomy if the only difference between male and female was a blurred line. The markers are always loud and clear but your mileage may differ.

Dante_mL I am still missing a female shape like the Lilith ref Legion_studios posted. I think the design would benefit from that approach but that is just my opinion. The face needs attention, the eyebrows and eye shape are off. I think the base figure is improving though.

Cheers