Home Unity

Texturing in Blender VS Unity

Hello Everyone,

i was searching the web and forums for the question which solution is better:
I found out that there are 2 options for me (maybe more I don’t know) to get my textures on my model I made with blender.

1.) The first option is to do it the default way. Unwrap my model in Blender and get my textures on it in blender, then bake my textures to the whole model and export it to unity. In unity I import the bakes textures and create a prefab with both model and textures combined.

2.) But I found another way. I create my model with blender and define materials for each part of it. Then I unwrap my model and export it to unity. Unity will import the model and the defined materials. Now I can get my textures to the materials and the result is my textured model.

Both options might have its advantages in workflow, speed quality etc, but i would like to know what does this mean for my game in unity?
-Performance?
-Reuseable Textures
-Used discspace

I would like to get some answers which option you choose, why and what the risks are?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
h4voc

Replies

• Farfarer
    The second way should work, although if they're not tiling textures and they're not reused elsewhere, it's cheaper to bake it down to one material and texture.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Multiple materials means more draw calls, which usually means slower rendering.

Also depends on the kind of model you're making. A weapon or a prop? Single material. A building? Multiple materials, and blending between bitmaps. A landscape? 1 material with multiple bitmaps blended together.
  • RyanB
    After you do the second method, try a "Reimport All" and see if your texture assignments were done correctly. You may not see potential problems until you send your assets to someone else or the Unity asset store. Reimport all simulates what happens when someone else has to open your project.