Home Dota 2

Scale problem with Juggernaut set

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Kihlstrand polycounter lvl 7
Hey Polycounters!

I recently started doing a set for Juggernaut, it worked fine til I started exporting my block meshes to Dota 2. I've done this before, half year ago with Luna and didn't encounter this problem. When I import my mesh to Dota, it gets scaled down approx 20%. I've googled the heck out of this problem and I'm going insane so I thought I could ask people here. Here are some things I've tried:

- Checked the .FBX exporter settings. I found some people having issues with the automatic scale setting, but it didn't change anything for me.

- Skinning. I thought I had wrong influences, but whatever I use doesn't affect. (3, 4, 5 influences, doesn't make any difference)

- History, pivot and freeze transformation. Done this a thousand times on my models before I skinned them, nothing weird there.

- I tried re-import the .FBX I exported from maya back to maya and they were fine.

Is this familiar to anyone? Have they changed Juggernaut in any way since Valve posted his rig on their site?

Any leads would be awesome, hate being stuck on a problem which could be a very simple fix.

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• Darren Pinard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darren Pinard polycounter lvl 3
    We ran into this when making a Jugg set. The in game model is actually not the same as the workshop model.

Your best bet is to download Crowbar and GCFScape and rip the model right from the game file. If you do a quick google there are tons of tutorials if you need.

Be warned skining his chest armor will be more than fun ;)

gluck!
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No Pie For You! polycounter lvl 6
    another issue might be because of the x-forms. If you are working in max, try reseting the xform on the item (but delete or cut the skinn parameter out of it!!), then collapsing all parameters, and then apply your skin again.
    if you might have done that already then i think darren gave you the right advice
    cheers
  • Swaggernaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    Just download GCFScape and export the in-game model from the game files. Usually, valve doesn't update the models on the website, so there are definitely some issues if you use those.
  • Kihlstrand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thank you for this information. I suspected the files were outdated. Gonna try out your solutions! :D

I'll post an update if everything is working alright later on!

Thanks again!
  • Kihlstrand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a little work I got things up and running. Turns out Juggernaut has been scaled up 15%.

I extracted the files from dota with GCFScape, decompiled them with Cannonfodder's StudioCompiler and then I used an old maya script for .SMD import. The SMD importer was outdated though (using maya 2015) so I had to remove a few lines. (Can be found here how to: http://forums.geshl2.com/index.php?topic=981.0)

But wait! There is more. The script didn't work out entirely as I expected. When I imported one of the .SMD files, it loaded up as expected but then cleared the maya scene. So I saw the model and rig in front of me and then poff. Gone. So to solve this problem I did something I'd call an ugly solution. While the file loaded up after I imported the .SMD file (it takes 30-40 seconds to finish) I press "Save as Scene" before it got to finish. It creates the joints first and that is what I needed. In the end, I had a complete joint hiearchy with a halfbuilt geometry in a separate file. I compared it with the files found on the dota 2 workshop site and used it for skinning. Imported it to dota and it worked.

One could say it was a bit tricky, but working in the end haha. I thought I could post it as a future reference for anyone stumbling on the same problem as me.

Here is my working block model ingame: http://i.gyazo.com/67c23809b582bdfd434dd7a99438cf1a.gif