Home Marmoset

Fixing material seams

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Justo polycounter
I've been working all day to try fix some seams on my model that'll be showcased using TB2.

For some reason, my albedo maps are creating some serious seams, even though they should be the same color, for they were made from a hp's polypaint baked in xNormal. They were originally 16bit TIFFs, and were converted to 8bit PNGs. Needless to say, neither version of the textures work.

Using Unlit shaders doesn't erase the seams, yet other apps display them correctly. Tangent space is set correctly (Mikk, normals baked in Xn), though I don't think that has anything to do with this.

I haven't tried using 2.07's multi-ID support because I was trying to see if this had a solution in 2.06.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I5iURxF.png

ByPVZba.png

U9ZGwdu.png

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like the seam is coming from the specular pass rather than the albedo. Turn specular to 0 and see if it still shows up.

If it does, its probably an issue with your spec map, maybe the values don't match there or you haven't loaded the spec map in one of the materials yet?

Out of curiosity, why are you splitting your materials along that seam? If you intend to apply two different shaders, like the skin shader and the lambertian shader, you'll get seams there even if your maps match up perfectly. In that case, it would be better to use the alpha channel of the subdermis map to mask skin and non-skin elements.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Thanks for answering EQ. I haven't loaded up the specular (metallic, actually, for which I just turn it to black), so I don't think that's the issue.

As you said, I tried lowering the specular to 0, but the difference in color is still pretty striking.

It's pretty annoying really given it's the only place that's giving me trouble in the entire model.

Got any other ideas? I guess I'll have to updgrade and see if having one mesh fixes the issue, but I don't see why that would change anything....
    Out of curiosity, why are you splitting your materials along that seam? If you intend to apply two different shaders, like the skin shader and the lambertian shader, you'll get seams there even if your maps match up perfectly. In that case, it would be better to use the alpha channel of the subdermis map to mask skin and non-skin elements.

I started this model while I learned the workflows. Now I realized I should have made a 4k texture for the beard, head and rest of the body so that I only used one skin shader, but I'm settling now for using various materials. Yes, I am masking areas in the subdermis maps.

a80k20Q.png

bstbENx.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If each material is using a different map, click the options button and make sure sRGB is enabled for both albedo maps. If you accidentally loaded the albedo into the normal map or gloss slot it may have been flagged as linear space (sRGB off).
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Is it illegal if I name my child Earthquake? Thank you, the sRGB was off in one material! You're the best.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, glad to help!